Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Make Hay While the Sun Shines

Because the next day, it won't. Yes, it's raining again. We had two gloriously sunny, warm days, and I think it was sunny really early this morning when I peeked through a tiny slit in my eyelids at 5:30. It always amazes me how early the sun comes up in the summertime here. By the time I actually woke up, around 7:00, the skies were full of clouds and it was . . . raining. I can hardly bear to say the word.

At least I got some outside work done yesterday. Wes and I went to Canadian Tire (which is not really a tire store) and got some planting containers and what we've always called a swing blade. It was called something else on the shelf, and now I can't remember what it was. You see, our back yard is so bad that it requires the use of a swing blade to begin clearing it out. Weeds as tall as I am. Our yard backs up to the highway and a hiking trail. We also went to a local plant nursery and got some sun-loving plants for our south-facing balcony and front yard, and some shade-loving plants for the teeny-tiny deck on the back of our house, facing north. For the balcony, we got a clematis vine and some mock strawberry plants, and in the front yard I have two miniature roses that I've been rescuing (read: cheap buys at the grocery store), a container with some celosia in it (because we like its feathery stuff), and two empty pots yet to be filled. For the back deck, I bought a planter box that fits over the porch rail and put some impatiens in it, a few more in a clay pot, a couple of coleus in a pot, and one little hosta in a pot.

I spent a couple of hours planting flowers and clearing the back porch, and Wes whacked away some of the larger weeds, and everything looks so much better now. I would show you some pictures . . . but did I mention it's raining again?

P.S. I am very - and I mean very - new at gardening. If any of you experienced gardeners have any suggestions for container gardening, I'm all ears. Or eyes, as the case may be.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Susan!! Do you know how good it is to hear from you??!! You have been missing from Bloglines and just today ELEVEN posts showed up dating all the way back to June 4!! So I'm finally catching up! I guess if I'd gone to your blog I'd have known you were still posting. I'm wondering if anyone else is just reading those 11 posts?! Anyway, I enjoyed reading what you have been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll answer here, even though I sent you an e-mail too. I had NO IDEA that Bloglines wasn't publishing my posts until a couple of days ago! Now there is a backlog - I'm so sorry! I didn't know. Hopefully whatever the problem was is straightened out and it won't happen again. I wondered why nobody was coming around anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you've been busy!

    It's been raining here for weeks now. It's so wet that we have mushrooms in the yard and the poles for my clothes lines are leaning now, that's wet.
    Praise the Lord we're not dealing with that poor Iowa is, how sad.

    Hey I bought a clematis yesterday too, it's dark wine colored, very pretty.

    Oh yea the swing blade thing, isn't that a sickle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan! I'm with Deb! I didn't see your last 11 posts until last night! I had a lot of catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Tori, I'm so sorry about all the rain. Believe me, I know how discouraging it gets; we've been to the point that the water is undrinkable due to all the rain, and mudslides happening all around.

    The swing blade is not a sickle. I sent you a picture of one in an e-mail.

    Tammy, I'm so sorry about Bloglines! I don't know what was up - sorry you were ambushed by my posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Wes and I went to Canadian Tire (which is not really a tire store)."

    This made me laugh! When I first moved to Canada three years ago, I was confused as to why a tire store would sell all that other stuff. In fact, when my mom asked me where we got our wall unit, I offhandedly said "Canadian Tire." She just gave me the weirdest look. LOL! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin