Friday, June 13, 2008

It's Friday!

I'm so glad it's Friday! It's not often that I say that (I love Mondays), but this week has been a whirlwind. On Monday and Tuesday, I was out of the house for several hours each day at doctors' appointments and classes. I'm learning a lot about diabetes management and my doctor is helping me make some medication changes that will hopefully stop this insane weight gain I've been having. I've gained about 25 pounds in the past year due to the medicine I've been taking. I just started a newer one, in the same class of drugs, that is more "weight-neutral," which I was told means I will be less likely to gain weight - doesn't mean I will lose. I know I'll have to increase this new medicine, as it's not keeping my sugars down any better than the old one was (my doctor was going to increase it too). So. Here I am. Taking medications that make me gain weight, which makes my sugar levels go higher, which necessitates more medicine . . . you get the idea! Hopefully we'll get this all straightened out soon. It gets a bit discouraging to eat right, exercise, and take my medicine like I'm supposed to, then gain yet another pound and watch my sugars keep going up.

On to better things! On Wednesday, the power company was doing some work in our neighborhood, so our power was off all day. They were nice enough to let us know in advance so we could plan to do something else that day, so we took one of Beth's friends and had a day out. We went bowling, out for lunch, then to the two malls we have here on the North Shore. Beth's friend had never been to our malls over here, so that was fun for her. Wes and I just wandered around while they did their thing. I went to the pet shop to watch the kittens and puppies playing (one of my favorite things to do!) and to the fabric shop to poke around there a bit. I found lots of inspiration and a few notions I needed. I bought a bias tape maker, something I've been thinking about doing for a few weeks now. I also went to Winners, a store similar to TJ Maxx in the US, and found a couple of decorative things and a pair of pj's. All in all, it was a good day, although I was exhausted and hungry when we got home! ;) The girls still had plenty of energy. Where did mine go? I still feel about their age on the inside!

Beth and I got our hair cut Thursday. Mine was just a maintenance trim, but Beth had grown her hair long enough to donate it to an organization that makes wigs for cancer patients. This is something she's wanted to do for a while. Her hair is in a cute short style right now that suits her very well. I think she was a bit shocked to have it short after having long hair for so long, but it will grow back very quickly.

Tonight is our teen activity, a Father-Teen Cookout. We have about 55-60 fathers and teens coming over to a park near our house. Wes is out now getting the food, and we'll get everything together when he gets home. I told him that since it's a father/teen thing, there will be enough men there to help with cooking and serving, but he didn't buy it! ;) The weather is cooperating fairly well. It was beautiful this morning when I got up, but now has clouded over a bit, although we're expecting no rain. Hopefully it will clear out again by start time.

I'm speaking at a ladies' tea tomorrow. I have bounced back and forth between two subjects, and after talking to Wes about it, have finally decided to do the devotion I did with our ladies a few weeks ago about making a difference in others' lives. This is a young church, like ours, and this kind of thing will be helpful to them, I hope. That's what Wes said, anyway, and it's what I have peace about saying tomorrow. I'm nervous but excited at the same time, if that makes sense.

So that is our week, and why I've been away from the computer. I hope you all have a great weekend and that your weather is nice where you are - not too hot and no storms. How awful the storms have been in the US this week! See you again soon!

4 comments:

  1. I would love to hear you speak sometime. I'm sure your meeting will be wonderful.

    And I think it's great you're taking the time to understand your diabetes better. A lot of people don't do that.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes with your diabetes. I can relate. I gained a ton of weight on diabetes meds, the ones I were on before these & these. But if I were to go back on Glucophage again I'd get diarrehea all the time, so I'd rather have the weight gain lol. Taking insulin plus having been on Rezulin before they took it off the market made him gain in his stomach really weird. The rest of him is tiny but his stomach is bigger even tho he is just a size large. Sadly peopel don't seem to understand he got it from taking insulin & think he got it eating tons of food. My sugars seem to go up & down alot. It's so frustrating.

    The tea sounds like fun. Our church ladies had one awhile back last yr or so maybe & it was fun. There is a local teahouse here that is nice. The lady who runs is a Christian lady & if you got at the right time you just might catch her singing some hymns...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    I am praying that they will help you get your meds and everything concerned with your diabetes undercontrol. I am sure it is frustrating.
    Have a great time with the ladies at the Tea. We are expecting sunshine today, I hope you get some too.
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi - I'm not so sure you'd love to hear me, once you'd heard me! LOL And about the diabetes - if I don't take care of it, it will take care of me . . . in its own way. I want to be able to see my children married, have grandchildren, and grow old with my Wes, if the Lord wills.

    Cheryl, I had the same reaction to Glucophage. I was so sick for the whole six months that I tried to take it. Then the dr. ordered a combo of glucophage and glyburide (the medicine I just quit using). Same reaction, so I can't tolerate any amount of glucophage. As for the weight gain, I am learning not to worry about what people think of me for gaining weight. It's hard though.

    Deby, thanks for your prayers. It is very frustrating!

    Well, I'm off to finish preparing for the Tea! Thanks for stopping by, ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin