Thursday, June 19, 2008

Humming Right Along

We're hummin' right along this week. Yesterday was our big monthly shopping day, in which we spent what seemed like a ginormous amount of money, but when you break it down into the weeks of the month, it's less than we'd spend if we just did our shopping weekly. I got a package of round steaks that I am pretty sure will give us four meals, some frozen chicken breasts that will give us 6-8 meals (maybe more), and two small roasts that will do us very nicely with both boys gone this summer. I got all these things in the freezer yesterday after we got home, which is a small miracle for me; I usually put them in the fridge till "later" and later arrives when I realize all that meat is gonna go bad if I don't get it put away now. So I feel good about that small accomplishment. I also separated and froze ten pounds of shredded cheese, mozzarella and cheddar. My freezers are chock full and I feel very homemakerish when that happens.

I also bought myself the fabric and patterns to make 3 new dresses. One piece was for the dress I was trying to make before we went to GA back in April. It's a beautiful blue floral on a tan background. The other two pieces are tiny prints, one purple and one buttery yellow, to make some "everyday" dresses. Here are the patterns I bought: Simplicity's New Look 6779 and 6803. I thought they both looked cool and comfortable for the summer that we hope to get, and they have simple, clean lines. You will notice they are a bit short; I bought a little extra fabric so I can lengthen them. I'll be making the short-sleeved versions. I also have a blouse pattern that I've had for a while that I want to make a top from, New Look 6598 - the yellow plaid on the bottom right. So now I have some accountability (other than Wes, since he sat and waited for me for a long time while I decided what to get, then got tired and walked around and ended up buying a video and a game - I think he wants to see something for all that trouble! LOL).

I mentioned that I began a new medicine last week. It hasn't caused me any problems yet, as the warnings in the pharmacy materials said there might be, for which I praise the Lord. Because one of the side effects is upset stomach. I hate upset stomachs. They make me nervous and afraid, which only make them worse. The only bad thing happening was that the medicine wasn't working at all at the lowest dosage, which is where my doctor started me, so I went up to the next dosage amount yesterday, all on my own. And today my sugar levels are better! Now I just need to keep getting that exercise and eating well and see if they come down farther at this dosage. I won't increase it again without my doctor's permission; I don't want to wake up dead one morning from a low in the middle of the night! ;)

Some of you mentioned that you hadn't seen my posts in a couple of weeks, and then 11 of them showed up at once! I'm so sorry about that. Apparently Bloglines was doing its own thing lately, and that meant it didn't update some of its feeds for quite a while. I still don't know what happened, but I hope it won't happen again. If you actually come to my blog to read, you didn't miss anything, and if you're getting it by e-mail, you didn't miss anything either. Actually, you didn't miss much because of Bloglines, either! LOL

So nothing much is happening, which is a good thing. We're just living life and enjoying ourselves. Which is what I hope is going on at your house too!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad that your new medicine is working so well. (o:

    And I know what you mean about Bloglines, they have been acting very strange lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear your stomach is doing ok with the meds. Yes, food and exercise. Those are key. I have started a new blog concerning those 2 things and you are welcome to visit. Let me know as it is private so people can feel comfortable sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such a love/hate relationship with medications. I am so glad we live in an age where we have so many available. But just reading the side effects scares me! I am glad your new one is working well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Michele! I once hated medications, but now I'm seeing that I will probably have to have them for the rest of my life. So no side effects is a good thing!

    Bren, I took one medicine for 6 months that kept my stomach upset the entire time, so that's a biggie with me. I'll come by and check into your other blog.

    Barbara, some of our church family are strongly against medicine, for personal reasons, and for a while, I took their views of taking medicine. But I've realized that I'll do more harm if I don't take it. You have to weigh it out. The side effects can be scary, but the side effects of allowing my sugar to run wild are scarier; I watched my mother die of kidney failure, for one thing. So . . . I take the medicine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am the same way with putting up the meat, I really dislike putting the groceries away anyhow.

    Glad your not suffering any side effects from your new meds, that's a blessing I'm sure!

    I love the patterns, I need to attempt to make something. I have the patterns for several dresses but just haven't managed to get the courage to try any of them. I better do it soon or my daughter is going to out grow the patterns!

    Oh I was wondering what happened with all the posts. I was like, "man is she saving them up and posting all at one time?"

    Glad to see your being productive, I'm motivated now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    As someone who takes medicines I sure know how it is to figure it out. Wondering IF I am doing the right thing. Well, at this point I know they help. What a blessing for you, to have no side effects..
    The dress patterns are lovely. It will be nice to have some new clothes.
    We are supposed to be having a beautiful day here today. I have the door wide open and the sun is pouring in.
    Hooray!
    Deby

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin