Monday, June 23, 2008

Back to School

I know summer has just started. Here in BC, school just got out last week. The weather is warming up, and kids are playing outside and in the stores with their mothers. But I just started back to school . . . sort of.

I met a lady several years ago who had homeschooled her children through high school, although she herself had not finished high school. She did it by getting her children's books for the next year at the beginning of summer and doing the work herself before school started in the fall. She basically homeschooled herself so that she would know how to teach each subject to her children.

Andrew struggled through Biology and Chemistry last year. He finished up Biology from the year before, then began Chemistry. I would help him the best I could as he came to trouble spots, but I was barely able to stay ahead of him enough to be prepared to help him. I was trying to figure out a better way to help him when I remembered the lady who had taught herself so that she could teach her children. Bing! The light came on. I asked Wes later that day (last Friday) if he remembered her, and if he thought it might be a good idea for me to do Andrew's chemistry course so that I could teach it to him. Wouldn't you know he said yes?! So last Friday I installed myself as a student in our Switched-On Schoolhouse and assigned myself Andrew's chemistry course. Then I began. All I can say is . . . it's been a long time since I was in high school, and even longer since I took chemistry.

It's going to be a long summer.

13 comments:

  1. You go, girl! :)

    That's a pretty smart idea.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Susan. My oldest was in 10 this past year and that biology and Algebra is a booger, at least for me. I'm glad he is already smarter than I am so he doesn't need too much help, I'd be lost.

    The good thing is, after we struggle through the first child then we are prepared for the second and in my case the third. So maybe by the time Hannah, currently 10, ends up with Biology I'll be better at it. Maybe....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydeny is just finishing up chemistry and will soon start physics. We use Bob Jones satelite though so it saves me some of the hardship.

    However they still require some help from time to time and I sometimes scratch my head while staring at the teachers book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan! You are better than I would be! I just don't think I could put myself back in school. But...I also know Mamas will do anything for their children! I hope you catch on quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Mine going into 2nd and 5th so I think I am ok, but in the Jr. High, High School grades that would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good idea. Hopefully I can remember it when my boys are that age.

    Switched on Schoolhouse is great. That's the curriculum they used when my husband was teaching at our church's Christian school, and is likely what we'll use with our boys when they get old enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I think that if we ever have kids to homeschool, Chemistry is going to be my DH's job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an excellent, but not easy, idea! Good for you. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job, good idea Susan....woooo, I don't think I would do so hot.
    ie: algebra, tell me...how can letters equal numbers or vice versa..give me a break, there is the alphabet and their are numbers why complicate things?
    Yikes, maybe I NEED to go back to school...nahhh.....I will just encourage you...
    Deby
    Watch those experiments!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go MOM! You inspire me-that's a wonderful idea I will tuck into my hat for use later. I had such a hard time with algebra, just thinking about it gives me shivers. I should start preparing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I have to say I admire you! I don't think I could manage that myself. I will be praying for you that God opens the windows of your mind so that you may be able to better help your son!

    Blessings!

    Rebecca

    fourmyers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really admire you for that! What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea!!! I may have to consider it next year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin