Monday, May 12, 2008

Sunday in Review - Mother's Day 2008

We had a great Mother's Day at Lions Gate Baptist Church! Wes likes to have something to give to the mothers in attendance. This year he was having a hard time figuring out what he wanted to give. He's done flowers and figurines, and both had been well-received, but he didn't want to repeat either of those. He left here Thursday morning to run some errands, and while he was out, he called to tell me he'd found the gift he wanted to use this year: teddy bears!

I wasn't too sure about teddy bears at first, but these bears are being sold by a local charity to benefit the children's hospital. Seeing as children are what mothering is all about, and buying these would help sick children, Wes thought the moms would really love receiving these bears. And he was right. There were gasps of delight and much laughter as each lady got her bear. I took a boy one, since both of my boys will be gone this summer. They are sweet little bears, so soft and fluffy. Each one is wearing a hoodie and pajama pants with a little hole cut in the back for its tail - way too cute! ;)

We had several visitors yesterday. One couple had visited us a few weeks ago. They are looking for a church, having just moved here recently, and they are in the process of going to different churches to see where they fit in best. Needless to say, we were very excited to see them back this Sunday morning!

Wes' sermon last night was so good. It was a very encouraging sermon about how God is faithful to forgive our sins, and He helps us to forgive ourselves and pick up and move on with life. It was a great help to me. I get that "performance" mentality going sometimes, a lie from Satan that says to avoid God when I sin, because He's upset with me and doesn't want me around - as if God only wants me if I'm good enough. That's the opposite of what God says! God wants us to confess our sins and run back to Him, not hide in shame and fear. So that sermon kinda pushed a reset button for me, reminding me that God truly does love me and desire my fellowship. I tell ya, my husband is just getting to be a better and better preacher all the time! I love how he gives us practical Bible truths that we can apply directly to our lives, not just some mushy stuff that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy but doesn't help you live any different at all! Clear, direct Bible teaching is what people need, and our people have commented several times that they sure appreciate how their pastor teaches them to live for the Lord.

After the morning service, we started taking pictures, so I thought I'd introduce you to some of our church family. I say some, because by the time it was over, every female in the church was gathered around Wes for a picture, leaving about 4 or 5 guys standing there to take the pictures! LOL


So here are all the ladies, from 4 years old and up. I am on Wes' left, with Beth behind me. We have lots of Filipina ladies!



Here is my Sunday school student with the flower bookmark that we made for her mom in class



This is my student with her mother and me. Notice who is holding Mom's bear! ;)



Andrew taught my class for me this week, as my voice still wasn't quite able to handle singing and teaching yet. Here, he's leading us in Nothing But the Blood of Jesus. Thanks, Andrew!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I so agree with the type pf preaching that is needed these days! I am glad your pastor/husband is a good preacher! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day. With some great preaching. Glad your mothers day went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great time you had. I loved the pictures! I didn't realize you had so many oriental people in your church. Wonderful!

    I enjoyed seeing your picture too, you have such a nice smile! :0)

    I think Teddies are a great idea, I would have loved one and what a wonderful idea to buy them from a charity.

    Have a great week Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I have loved this post and seeing all the pictures and your stories of how the Lord is blessing your ministry there.
    Does Wes record his sermons?
    We hope to visit one Sunday, someday...
    What fun..
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful day you had! How nice to see the pictures of your church family too!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin