Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday in Review - May 25, 2008

Ok. Now for something a little more substantial. We had a great day today! There was a good crowd this morning, partly because we had a six-member missionary family with us, the Stan Kamps Family to Holland. We immediately felt at home with them (and hope they did with us!), and enjoyed their fellowship in our home this afternoon for dinner. I was privileged to have three of their children in my Sunday school class, bringing my attendance up to five this morning! Pastor Kamps preached this morning and showed us a presentation of their work there in Holland. As usual, I was all ready to make a trip to Holland to see it all for myself! ;) If I had the money, I'd be a world traveler by now . . .

Right now our kids' Sunday school lessons are about Moses. Today I covered the Ten Commandments. I want to make sure that our children understand that the commandments were not given to us to make us fit for Heaven; it was given to show us just how UNfit we are! God's holiness is emphasized throughout Scripture, which shows us repeatedly that we are most definitely unholy people, even at our best. Isaiah 64:6 tells us that "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags," and that is restated in the New Testament - "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23) As I was teaching, I would talk about each commandment as we came to it, and what that meant in a child's life (and yes, we covered adultery - a man and woman who marry must love only each other!). I began to tell the children some examples from when I was a child, such as how I would lie to keep from getting in trouble, or how I stole my babysitter's M&M's when she had bought me Cracker Jacks, or how I wanted something that was not mine . . . and as I shared these things, the thought came to me that the Ten Commandments had done for me exactly what God had intended them to do . . . they had shown me that I was a sinner. It was a thrill to say, "Hey, you know what? These commandments showed ME that I was a sinner . . ." and told them about when I got saved. You can't beat real-life teaching!

Some of our visitors of the past few weeks are still coming, for which we praise the Lord! It's so good to see each one who comes in the door each week. Today was Andrew's last Sunday for the summer; he leaves on Friday to spend the summer working with his uncle in South Carolina. We have a man and his teen son who are stepping up to help Wes with setting up and taking down our electronic keyboard and sound system each week, which is a big help to us. First one boy leaves us, now the other, and we find our routine changing once again - so praise the Lord for those who are willing to fill in the gaps.

I hope you all had a great weekend at your churches and with your families. Have a good week!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great Sunday. I love to see missionary presentations. I have surrendered a number of times, Papua New Guinea is next on my list.

    the commandments were not given to us to make us fit for Heaven; it was given to show us just how UNfit we are!

    This was great Susan, I'm gonna have to keep that one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too want to go ...where Missionaries come and tell us about their work....to include you !!!!
    Great lesson from the ten commandments, Susan and a reminder for us.
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I knew the principle, I had never heard it put so succinctly and clearly: "the commandments were not given to us to make us fit for Heaven; it was given to show us just how UNfit we are!"

    Sounds like a wonderful lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori, I thought I was the only one who was ready to go everywhere that everyone else went! LOL That is a bit tongue-in-cheek, of course, but every missionary presentation just reminds me that the need is so great and the laborers are so few.

    Deby, I am only 3 hours away, tops! ;) Come on up here!

    Barbara (and others) - It becomes clearer and clearer to me each time I read or study anything to do with The Law, what Paul said in Galatians (I think) . . . the law was our schoolmaster (teacher) to bring us to Christ. That in itself is freeing, because so many believe we have to keep the Law, some even after salvation. When we realize that it shows us how wicked we are, and Jesus' blood washes away that sin . . . oh, my! What a blessing! What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "commandments were not given to us to make us fit for Heaven; it was given to show us just how UNfit we are"

    SO TRUE and not taught enough...especially to children.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin