Friday, May 30, 2008

A Short Flight for My Second Birdie

My second birdie just stretched his wings and flew out of my nest today. Our second son, Andrew, is going to spend the summer in SC with my brother-in-law to earn some money for college. This is very exciting for Andrew, but for me, not so much. Wes and Andrew left just after lunch today to drive to Seattle. Along the way they're going to shop for some more jeans for Andrew to wear to work (when you homeschool you don't need all the clothes that most kids wear to school). Wes likes to schedule early morning flights when we're traveling east, so that whoever is waiting for us on the other end of the line doesn't have to stay up till the wee hours of the next morning. So he spends the night in Seattle, near the airport, to make it easier to get up and around on the morning of the flight.

I remember when I was expecting Andrew. I loved his older brother so much that I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I was going to love a new baby just as much. But I did. Just as much. Now I'm wondering how I'm going to spread my heart out in two different directions this summer, with Samuel on the west coast and Andrew on the east coast. But I guess I'll learn how, just like I learned to love each new baby as they came along. The good thing is that Andrew will be home in 3 months for his last year of school.

When my children have gone out alone in the past, I've always told them 2 things:
  • Remember who you are
  • Guard your heart
That has not changed; in fact, it's much more in effect now than ever. I want my boys to remember who they are - they are not only Hutchens boys, but more importantly they are sons of the King of Kings. And I want them to guard their hearts. If their hearts stay right with God, it doesn't matter to me what careers they choose or where they choose to live.
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. Proverbs 4:23
For you mothers, what do you tell your children as they grow up? These two things have been pounded into my children's heads - and hopefully their hearts - most of their lives. What do you want them to keep uppermost in their thoughts when they leave your home and start on their own lives?

4 comments:

  1. I want mine to remember that there are a lot of younger kids who look up to them and hold them in high esteem. I epsecially remind my boys that there are many parents who trust them (my boys) with their younger boys. If they do something to jeopardize that, it will be nearly impossible to get it back. This means that the Lord, their mama and daddy, their grandparents, their preacher, and their friends are not the only ones they'll be letting down. I'm sure there are other things, but these are the ones that comes to mind right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point, Julia! We have used that one too, because one family in our church has a teenager who has been impacted by our Andrew. There is always someone watching who will be influenced by what we do, and it's good for our kids to understand that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few years to go before I reach the season you are in right now, but most of all I want my kids to know the love of Jesus and have a burning desire to live for Him.

    Sending ((hugs)) your way as your birdie has flown away. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. C, I know exactly what you mean! I was talking to a friend yesterday, and we were talking about our boys who are close to the same age. I mentioned that I'd rather have my boys serve God with a pure heart as trash collectors than have them be in the ministry with less than pure hearts. Being preachers will not guarantee that they will be godly men. I want them to love the Lord above all else.

    Thanks for the prayers and hugs! I really have done a little better this time than I did leaving Sam at college, probably because (1) Andrew's coming home in 3 months, and (2) he's the second one to leave. Not that it's easier for one to go than the other, but that I'm not facing it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin