Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mistreatment

Last week, I discovered The Nester and her Window Mistreatment 101. It looked so easy I just had to try it. When I mentioned to Wes that I wanted to nail some fabric to the wall, for some reason he just didn't get very excited. Men don't like nailing anything to the wall. He probably thinks I've gone slightly insane. He didn't tell me not to do it, though, so I forged ahead as soon as I got some upholsterer's nails.

Here is the window in our back hall. It's right off our kitchen, and is flanked by our powder room on the left and the stairs to the basement on the right. It just looks out to our neighbor's wall. Here you can see my pitiful attempt at decorating with old books. Also, my impatience. I didn't want to wait till daylight to work on these windows, and I didn't want to take the mistreatment down to take a "before" picture. So the pictures are at night. With a flash. I know. The cardinal sin of picture-taking.



Here is the other window I wanted to do: the back door.



My fabric is actually two cafe curtain panels with roosters on the bottom. I got them on clearance, along with a cascading valance (also with roosters), for $1.00. So this is at least a frugal endeavor. Here is one curtain.



What I did was fold the panel a little less than in half, just enough to hide those roosters, then nailed each end just outside the edge of the window frame. Took up the slack in the middle, then once again between the middle and each side. Now I have a red-and-white check valance, and if I ever want to have roosters - they're still there. No roosters were harmed in the making of this window mistreatment.



I did basically the same thing on the door, except it's not nailed into place; it's held by the valance thingy of the blinds. I'm not as pleased with this one, so I'll probably try to figure out something else. It does look more homey, just not as neat as the other window.



No one in my family has said anything about my mistreatments. I don't know if it's because they haven't noticed, or the windows look bad. Maybe they're just afraid. I like them, and as The Nester says, "It doesn't have to perfect to be beautiful." Well, beautiful might be stretching things, but better than bare windows, anyway. Now I have plans for more windows; I have a bedskirt that I don't use anymore . . .

16 comments:

  1. Great job Susan. I like 'em. I think I would get more done if I didn't have to have everything perfect. I stress about perfection and then nothing gets done. I have a couple window, maybe I'll attempt something with them today.

    oh yea by the way, I'm so glad no roosters were hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very sneaky hiding those roosters! you did great-- i think fabric on a door softens it so much!

    nice to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love the way they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look nice! LOL @ not hurting roosters. =P

    I have to say, I have seen the "mistreatments" and thoroughly hated them! (LOL) But yours are nice. :-) Seriously, I'm not just saying that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they look great Susan...
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a wonderful job, Susan! I'm looking forward to trying this out after our move.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tori, that is exactly why I did these. I just wanted to get something up there to make it look better, instead of waiting for the perfect fabric and all that. I'm such a perfectionist that I won't do it if it won't be "right."

    Nester, thanks for stopping by! It's nothing like what you've done, but it's a start.

    Pam, it's so easy! And it's perfect for renting, which is another reason I tried it.

    Tammy, I can always be assured that you and I are total opposites! ;) It's amazing the things I like that you don't, and vice-versa. Maybe that's why we get along so well?! LOL

    Thanks, Deby! Wes still isn't sure, but he said they don't look bad . . . just not too sure about not using curtain rods.

    Mrs. C - please post about it if you do! I know you'd have great ideas and make it look so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of window mistreatments, but I love what you did, and so frugal! You remind me of my pastor's wife! (that's a compliment by the way! lol)
    Now I need to go check out 'the nester'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "No roosters were harmed in the making of this window mistreatment."

    Too funny! they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are a adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you Susan! Your windows look GREAT!! Love it! I've been reading the Nester for awhile and am always inspired (and laughing) by her style.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look wonderful Susan. I have been thinking about doing this myself, you may have just pushed me over the edge of doing it.
    I am glad that you did not hurt the roosters but that you did get rid of them. LOL
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deborah, I am *very* complimented that you compared me to your pastor's wife! Thank you!

    Rita, thanks for coming by. You are one busy lady in the coming week!

    Heather, thanks for your comment! Every one boosts my confidence!

    Mishel, isn't The Nester so funny? I almost wrote "so hate me" when I said that I had broken the first rule of photography! ;)

    Carrie, be sure to let us know if you do a mistreatment. I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Nester, too! I don't think I would have thought to hide the roosters (duh!) I just would have thought, aw, too bad it has roosters on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tammy, I can always be assured that you and I are total opposites! ;) It's amazing the things I like that you don't, and vice-versa. Maybe that's why we get along so well?! LOL

    LOL Too funny! Yes, it does seem we have opposite tastes, especially when it comes to popular blog projects (remembering those trees at Christmas 2 years ago! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barbara, this was a first for me, to hide something rather than not use it because it had those roosters. I'm learning!

    Tammy, I had those trees in mind as I wrote that! LOL Beth and I are opposites like that too. If she likes it, it's for sure I won't and vice-versa.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin