Friday, May 02, 2008

How Today Went

Today was a very busy day. I haven't been this busy since . . . ohhhh . . . last week! LOL I had the first of three diabetes education classes this afternoon. I took two of these type classes when I was first diagnosed with diabetes, about 6-8 years ago. A lot can change in medicine in that time, let me tell you. Well, not the basics, but things like what types of carbs to eat and how much, artificial sweeteners, etc. The dietitian was quite puzzled about why I was there. The main reason I went was because, to get my test strips covered by our insurance, I have to have a certificate that proves I've taken the diabetes class. At least that's what I thought, based on every conversation I've ever had with a pharmacist or doctor around here. Today I discovered that all I needed was either (1) a prescription for the test strips from my doctor or (2) a little wallet-sized card that says I have been instructed in the use of a glucometer. I already have the prescription from my doctor, and the nurse informed me today that I could have just come by and asked for one of the cards. After all, I've been using a glucometer for 8 years now (I was even helping the nurse show the newly-diagnosed patients how to test their blood today!), so I'm pretty sure I know how to use one. And I tried to tell the pharmacist that, but she insisted I had to have the Canadian classes. You know the difference between the American and Canadian classes? The measurement system used to measure the amount of sugar in the blood! Anyway, I'm scheduled for the classes, and it's just as well, because I needed the refresher course in diabetes management - and I have the prescription and the card.

While the nurse was showing the other patients how to test their blood, she turned to me and said, "I'll test yours with my monitor in just a minute." Now, I hadn't expected to be tested this afternoon, and I'd eaten my lunch on the run, so it wasn't so healthy. My blood sugar was WAY too high. I felt like a little puppy that's been bad, with my head ducked and my tail between my legs! She asked if I had seen my number, and I said, "Mmmhmmm" and she said, "mmmHMMMM." Oh, it was awful! So now I have a new determination not to be caught at that little game again. My next classes aren't for a month, so I'll get it whipped into shape by then. That is, if my body will co-operate with me. It's being really bad right now.

So, I hurried home and spent the next hour or so looking up a new medication that was mentioned to me that I want to mention to my doctor. Beth got our Friday pizza dough ready for me, and our church song leader came by to run over our songs for Sunday morning. He loves to do this so that we're on the same page, so to speak, when he gets up to lead the singing on Sunday. It's great to know what the songs are going to be, especially if I can find an offertory to go with them. But practicing does not guarantee that I will be perfect on Sunday morning. A few weeks ago, our song leader introduced a song, I played the introduction, he raised his arm . . . and I began to play and the congregation to sing . . . without the song leader! When I saw him raise his arm, he was actually frantically turning to the correct page and wasn't ready at all! I had just glanced up and didn't pay close attention. That didn't help his confidence in my following abilities. Since then I'm apt to lag a fraction of a second behind until I know for sure he has actually started singing the song himself.

As soon as our song leader left, we ate our pizza (with my big salad!), then ran out the door for the kids to go to Gym Night with Greater Vancouver Baptist's youth group. They have Gym Night almost every Friday night, for a different age group each week. Tonight was the teen night, of course. Wes and I took them over, then we went to Costco to check out their prices here. We'd never been to the Canadian one. We found a few things we needed, then headed over to IKEA to get a bookcase Wes needed. So it's been run, run, run, all day, and now we're home and I'm not one bit tired even if it is 10:30. Oh, I have developed a cold. I thought for sure I was coming down with Beth's flu from last week, but so far it's just a cold. I hope it stays that way. She is doing much better, by the way, just still a little tired-looking around her eyes and coughing a lot.

Well, I have prattled along enough for one night. I hope you all have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I love how you tell these things! I can just picture you in the diabetes class and at the piano.

    I'm catching the beginnings of a cold, too, and hope it is not as bad as my husband's from last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just catching up with your blog! So glad to hear the trip went so well visiting your family.

    God Bless
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Susan, you are so busy!! Isn't that the truth, how we are always caught at the worst moment--

    I always enjoy my visit here with you:)

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin