Saturday, May 17, 2008

After the Day Off

I had a really nice afternoon yesterday! I had lunch while my laundry finished, then I walked to the library. I think it must be more than 6 blocks or so; Wes seems to think it's more like a mile? Whatever. I was carrying 15 books back. Can you believe I had that many books due all at the same time? I was never so glad to get somewhere in my life, I think. Those books got heavier and heavier all the way up the road! LOL I don't know why I didn't put them in a backpack, but I didn't. I carried them all that way in a tote bag. I only brought 6 books home, along with my bag of mushrooms. At least they don't weight much.

Have you ever wished you could do something, then when you got your wish, it wasn't as great as you thought it was going to be? Well, I had dreamed of spending hours in the library with the librarians having to chase me out at closing time. In reality, though, I only spent about 1 1/2 hours in there. I found the books I wanted, then I sat down and looked through a few magazines. I decided against the coffee shop because of something I hadn't counted on: I was tired. Reckon it had anything to do with lugging 15 books in a bag for a mile? So I got my mushrooms and headed home.

I made a very delicious supper for myself. I had a salad - baby spinach with a little mozzarella cheese and slivered almonds - while my chicken cooked. I sauteed one mushroom, put it on top of my chicken and topped it all with a little mozzarella. I popped it in the oven under the broiler just till the cheese melted. It. was. delicious. I had a little rice on the side too. Very good meal. I think I'll fix it sometime for my family, leaving off the mushrooms for my shroomophobes! ;)

My ladies' breakfast went well this morning. One of our lady visitors from last Sunday came, which I was pleased to see. She is almost 70 years old, but this lady is definitely not old! The gift she wants for her birthday is hang gliding. She's already gone sky diving twice, so that's not a thrill anymore. She has traveled literally around the world and done enough adventuresome things for three lifetimes. She is so much fun to talk to! We had three ladies and a little girl, besides me. I'm really having a hard time finding a time that is good for most or all of our ladies to attend. All of those Filipina ladies you saw in the picture last week? All but one of those ladies are nannies, and their schedules are many times subject to the plans of the families for whom they work. So they can never commit to something definite on the weekend, and they work late on weekday evenings too. So we're just playing this ladies' fellowship thing by ear. Another small church in our area just plans one really nice ladies' meeting a year, at Christmas, for much the same reasons that are hindering our having very many meetings. So we may go to just the one big meeting a year. It's the fellowship of being together week after week at church and the teaching they get at church that is really important; the extra meetings are just gravy!

We have had a beautiful couple of days yesterday and today. Today we broke temperature records all over the place. I'm not sure just how warm we got today, but it was pretty hot here in the house. It's almost 9:30, and it's just now cooling down - very unusual for this time of year. We seem to go from one extreme to the other this spring - either cold and rainy or hot and sunny. Sam's singing group is on the west coast, down around Fresno, and they've had temps around 100 all week.

Well, that's it for today. I'll share my devotional notes with you on Monday. I really enjoyed teaching it today. Part of the fun of teaching something is getting to learn it yourself! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. We have a hard time scheduling a time that is good for everyone, too. There is a core group who comes almost always but there are a few different ones who come here and there. I figure we'll still have it and just try to be a blessing to whoever can come. Though I'd love for more ladies to come, sometimes the small fellowships can have their benefits, too. Sometimes people who sit on the sidelines when there are a lot of people will open up a bit more when there are just a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your day off sounded like fun! The walk to the library sounded like work though....the rest, like fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very good day off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin