Tuesday, April 08, 2008

No New Dress This Time

I've been trying to sew on my new dress. I sat down at my machine with great anticipation. The pattern is an easy one, simple lines, and I envisioned a quick and easy session or two to finish it up. It was not to be.

The fabric is a polyester knit of some sort. I don't remember where it came from; it's just been in my stash for a while. I had some universal machine needles, so I put in a fresh one before I started sewing, knowing that knits need sharp needles. I also knew that this fabric might require a ballpoint needle, but thought I'd try the universal . . . especially since I didn't have any ballpoints! ;) Nothing doing. It skipped every few stitches. I adjusted the tension and stitch length. Nope. So I decided to wait till I could get some ballpoint needles, which I did today. I came home and popped one into the machine, then tried it out. It was worse!!! Huge, majorly huge skipped stitches. Nothing I did helped - tension, stitch length, zig-zag stitch. I tried sewing some plain cotton fabric: perfect stitches. Polyester: huge skipped stitches.

I'm out of options for now. No time and no fabric to cut a new dress. We're leaving Thursday for a missions conference, and Monday for GA/SC. Since fabric is cheaper in the US than here, I'll see if I can find something I like and bring it back in with me and try again. I've looked online and in all my books for a solution, and my only guess right now is that my machine just will not sew this fabric. No new dress for now, but maybe by the end of the month!

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I was having troubles with my machine yesterday. I was trying to use the hem stitch, and the fabric kept bunching up on the underside. NOT a pretty hem...so I gave up (after trying everything I could possibly think of!), and hemmed it by hand.

    Did you try changing the tension? And also, does your machine have a way to adjust the pressure of the pressure foot? Those are two things that come to my mind.

    Hope you can find some fabric you like! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh...
    I KNOW sewing frustration...I have been known to TOSS the whole thing in my very far away past.
    I think you are much more patient than me.
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy ~~ I have tried the tension, but I'm not sure if I can adjust the pressure foot. I have misplaced my machine manual (although I know it's here somewhere), so I'll have to wait till I find it to see how to do that. Seems like it might have some guidelines for sewing knits OR it might have a troubleshooting guide.

    Deby ~~ I don't see any way I can do anything other than toss this one! LOL It will NOT sew on my machine, apparently.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin