Friday, March 28, 2008

Scalloped Potatoes

My good friend (in real life!) from Hearts and Home asked how I make my scalloped potatoes earlier this week. I do make them from scratch. I don't even like the kind from the box anymore! So here's the recipe I use. I've made it so often I have it memorized!

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

6 medium to large potatoes
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups milk
6 slices American cheese

Peel and thinly slice potatoes. Make a white sauce: melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in flour, salt and pepper, making a smooth paste. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in milk; cook and stir till thick and bubbling, then cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat, stir in cheese till melted.

In greased 11x7" inch baking dish, layer potatoes, then half the cheese sauce; repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook for 30 minutes more.

You can add ham to the potatoes; just layer the ham over the potatoes before you pour the cheese sauce over the layers. You can also leave out the cheese from the sauce if you want to. My family scarfs these up, and they especially like them with ham.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, these sound really good, think I'm going to add this recipe to my box.
    Thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! These are on my menu for this coming week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm... must try these soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin