Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Hot Dogs and Fries

Hot Dog
Hot Dog

Normally I wouldn't consider hot dogs and fries a topic to write about, but I thought you might be interested in how I make my chili, fries, and coleslaw. If you're not, then feel free to skip today's post! ;)

When we lived in Texas, our favorite chili was Wolf Brand Chili. Of course, when we moved to Canada, it wasn't to be found here, nor is it at our Wal-Mart where we shop in WA. So I had to learn to make my own. It's not Wolf Brand, but we like it pretty well. I'll claim it as my own, since I just experimented with it till we liked it! ;)

Susan's Chili

1 pound ground beef
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
1-2 tomato paste cans of water
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Brown ground beef; drain. Stir in tomato paste and water till mixture is moist but not soupy. Add spices, then simmer for about 20 minutes.

Today I also made yam fries and regular oven fries. I make the yam fries for myself, really, but my family likes them too. Sweet potatoes, while still rich in carbs, contain more fiber than white potatoes and don't cause such a large spike in blood sugar. I just cut up the sweet potatoes and regular potatoes into 1/2-inch sticks, then put them in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Then I sprinkle them with seasoned salt and pepper till they look a little spicy and bake in a 375-degree oven for 30 minutes. Turn the potatoes and bake another 15 minutes, till lightly browned. I made this seasoned mayonnaise to dip the potatoes in:

Chipotle Mayonnaise

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce
1 teaspoon adobo sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

And finally, my favorite recipe for coleslaw, from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book:

Coleslaw

2 cups shredded cabbage
1 medium carrot, shredded
1/2 of a small green pepper
2 green onions

Dressing:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
Celery seed to taste

Combine vegetables. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over vegetables, stirring to mix well. Refrigerate for a couple of hours to allow flavors to blend.

9 comments:

  1. Oooo, the sweet potatoe fries and dipping sauce sound wonderful!! Actually *all* the recipes sound wonderful--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipes, they're all fat free right???

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chili sounds wonderful! As do the fries and dipping sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum...the coleslaw recipe looks wonderful. I would like to copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipes! Thanks for sharing.

    God bless-
    Amanda
    http://iammommy.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That all sounds really yummy! I'll have to try that chili soon. And I love coleslaw! thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I found your blog through some common interests, and thought I'd leave a note that I'd stopped by. I thought I'd mention that our church in Manitoba has a family on deputation who hopes to start a church on the Island, at Port Alberni.
    It's nice to meet another Independent Baptist blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mishel, I was surprised at how good yam fries are. We first tried them at a local restaurant, and we were hooked.

    Tori, if you use fat-free mayo for the dipping sauce, sure it's fat-free! ;) The hot dogs, not so much . . . unless you get fat-free in those too. We're not fat-free though!

    Michelle, I must say that my chili has improved over the three years we've been here. Necessity was the mother of invention on that one!

    Faith, I love this coleslaw! I hope you enjoy it.

    Hi Amanda! Thanks for stopping by!

    Theresa, do you guys eat slaw ON your hot dogs? That seems to be a southern thing, and I like it that way.

    Deborah, I dropped by your blog to say hi. Thanks for coming by, and I hope you'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, I hope the picture of the first day of spring in Manitoba made you happy to be in B.C.! hehehe
    I hope you don't mind me linking to your blog...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin