Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Plea

Many of you who have been reading my blog for a while know that I lost my mother to kidney failure, as a complication of diabetes, many years ago. She was sick with kidney failure for about six years, and underwent two kidney transplants during that time, one from her brother and one from an unknown person who had passed away. His or her family very generously agreed to donate their loved one's organs, and my mother received one of the kidneys. Although my mother wasn't strong enough to recover from this second transplant, I've been so thankful for that family's willingness to give to others at a time of grief in their own lives, and I've always thought I'd step up to the plate and donate one of my own kidneys, if I should ever come across the opportunity to do so. Kind of a way to give back what had been given to us. But now, I have diabetes myself, which disqualifies me as a kidney donor. Which is part of the reason I'm putting this post on my blog.

Some of you may have read Kelli's blog, Living In Grace. She's a woman who is exactly the same age I am, with two teenaged children, and she has end-stage renal failure. I've only read her blog a couple of times myself. To be honest, it scared me. I've lived through this renal failure thing before, and I didn't feel I had the heart to read about someone else going through the exact same things my mother had. Pretty selfish, yes; but true, nonetheless. Then today I read on Barb's blog, A Chelsea Morning, that Kelli is now asking for people to consider being a live donor. You can live with one kidney. My uncle, who donated a kidney to my mother in 1976, is still living a full, healthy life, 32 years later. If you're healthy, between the ages of 18 and 70, would you be willing to consider donating a kidney? I know some of the things this family is going through, and this is close to my heart. Above all, please pray for Kelli and her family. I don't know them personally, but I'm sure they would appreciate your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin