Monday, January 21, 2008

Good Monday Morning!

Good morning! I'm going to try blogging first thing in the morning and see how that goes. I put it off, then end up not blogging. Not earth-shattering, but I'd like to blog more often. So.

We had a good weekend. Wes and I had to run back down to Bellingham on Friday to take Sam his suit. We had done that on Wednesday, but it turned out that we had actually taken Andrew's suit (sans pants) instead of Samuel's, and for some reason, this presented a problem for Sam. Go figure. So for our date Friday night, Wes and I took Sam's suit (including pants) down to him and brought Andrew's suit coat back. We giggled over how our date had become a visit to our son. Is this how it's going to be? LOL You know you're old when your date night is a visit to your son . . . We did stop at McDonald's and got a burger; does that count for a date?

On Saturday I didn't get a lot of housework done, but I did bake some banana bread and get my Sunday school lesson ready. We also had beans for supper. It's been ages since I've made a pot of beans, but I had a ham bone left from Christmas in the freezer, and I have to admit, ham bones do make good seasoning for beans. So I soaked the beans Friday night, then put them in the crockpot and let them simmer all day with that ham bone. Baked a cake of cornbread and ate the beans over rice like soup. I was surprised how good it was! I kinda sorta hate beans. Wes loves 'em. Our standing family joke is that Mom never remembers to put the beans on - they have the idea that I hate them so much that I purposely forget to soak them and put them on to cook in time. So Saturday, when the kids asked what was for supper, I said "Beans," and they said, "You actually remembered??" The little weasels! ;)

Sunday was a good day. We had our usual crowd. My Sunday school lessons have cycled back around to the beginning of the Bible, so we're now in Genesis. My little Sunday school student, telling me her four-year-old wisdom about Adam and Eve, informed me that the tree Eve had eaten from was poison. I suppose you could look at it that way, but I chose to point out that it wasn't the tree that was the problem, it was that Eve chose to disobey God. Which we all do. Which is why we need the Saviour that God promised when He had to turn Adam and Eve out of the garden. Isn't God good to provide a way to come to Him?!!

Today is a busy one. Wes left early this morning to pick up Sam from Bellingham. We'll all go out to eat in honor of Samuel this afternoon, then he and Wes will head down to Seattle where they've reserved a hotel room so that they don't have to leave here at 2 AM to get Sam to the airport by 5 AM. Beth and I have a babysitting appointment with Metro Baptist Church tonight, for their revival meeting, so Wes and Sam will drop us off there on their way out. Which is probably going to be helpful for me: I won't be quite as likely to cry as much if I'm around other people! Can you see the mess that will be? Moms handing their crying babies to the crying nursery attendant! Hopefully I won't be too much of a mess. But this sending children off thing is just not my cup of tea, and I'm not sure I'll ever get used to it.

So I'm off to clean up from the weekend and focus on our boy for the day (like doing his laundry before he leaves! LOL). I hope you have a great day. Enjoy your Monday - a whole new week!

9 comments:

  1. Loved this post Susan...
    Are you kidding when my kids would leave I was a mess...and I was overseas..I would go home to their empy room and lay on their pillow..and sob...I was not prepared for this phase of my life...it was rough...
    ~~~~NOW~~~~
    Jim and I love our empty nest...it is like a reward for all those years...we have dates like you...to including going to the DUMP on a saturday morning..or Costco...the free samples are our meals..IT takes so little to make this lady happy..just like to be with my beloved.

    BEANS...we love them ...THEY don't always love me...wouldn't eat them on a Saturday night....out of respect for my body and others...'nuff said.

    Well..it is SUNNY today....wooohooo...COLD...VERY COLD....
    my honey is off today...
    hooray...
    deby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beans and grew up eating beans and rice and cornbread (especially good with hambones!), but my family doesn't like them. I haven't had them in ages. I could almost smell yours cooking. :-)

    Once my husband and I went out with his brother and sister just for coffee -- and ended up shopping at the drugstore for the various OTC meds we all take. I thought, man, we must be getting old!! LOL!

    I don't know if I'll ever get used to sending my kids off, either. Hope it's not too bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I had to laugh when you mentioned hating beans. We all like beans around here, and that's actually what we had for dinner last night. They are SO good with the added ham though.

    That was so funny about your Sunday School class. I teach the 6 to 8 year olds at our church and the way the view things often cracks me up. It also surprises me though how to look at things through their eyes - it offers such a new perspective sometimes!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try and blog in the morning too---because if I don't I may not get to it. Right now--I have a few minutes so I am blog reading/Commenting :)

    I bet the children just adore you at Sunday school:)

    I love Banana bread--I bet your house smelled yummy!


    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your heart. My time will come I'm sure. I'm a big sap already.

    Praying daily for you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to giggle because I kind-a-sort-a hate beans myself. I do eat them in chili though.

    Our kids aren't out of the house yet, but our dates frequently include errands and other "non-date" runs. But that's ok, it's just fun being in the car together laughing and talking. I know y'all feel the same way.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I blog whenever I get the whim, that's about how I do most things in life, ;0)

    I love beans and rice, when I was a kid we lived on pinto beans, that's poor folk manna!

    I don't know if McDonalds would classify as date night, humm, gotta think on that one a little more.
    Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I might try the idea of blogging first thing. I've been terrible about it lately!!!

    How did the Samuel's preaching go?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww...I loved reading you morning blog..I should do that.

    I am also a bean person LOL!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin