Tuesday, December 04, 2007

What We're Up To

Screeching in for a quick visit tonight. Our schedule is picking up with the Christmas holidays in full swing. This Saturday is our Ladies' Christmas Brunch. I've made a list of cleaning to do, spread out over the week, and so far I've kept up with it! I did leave off one thing today, but it will be easy to tack on to tomorrow's jobs. I also want to get all my Sunday school preparations done by Friday so I can just relax Saturday afternoon. Maybe.

Today was especially busy. Wes had an appointment with other area pastors for a fellowship meeting this morning. One of the churches is having a revival meeting this week, and the preacher doing the preaching is an elderly man with 54 years of ministry experience to share with all these "young whippersnapper" preachers! ;) Since Tuesday is Beth's piano lesson (at 10:30), Wes took public transportation over to the church, and Andrew and I drove Beth to her lesson - at the same church! Of course, the preachers' meeting started at 10:00 and didn't end till noon, so it would have taken a huge chunk out of Beth's day to have her stay with her dad over there for that long. So that meant that I had to be out of the house during the time I would normally do housework. I just moved my cleaning time to late afternoon instead, and still got most of what I need to do done.

Our family hosts an open house every year for our church family, the week after Christmas. We do it then because most of the holiday parties are over, and folks are more likely to be able to come. This year we decided to also invite those who have visited our church over the year, but have not come back regularly, and other friends such as our landlord and our downstairs neighbors. So Wes decided we'd make invitations to send out. We used an invitation we received last summer as our pattern. Wes did all the layout, and I attached helped by attaching some of the layers with brads. They turned out very nice, but they took a bit of time. I hope we'll have a good turnout and be a blessing to those who make up our ministry!

I've managed to pick up just enough of a cold to make me feel a little under the weather, not quite up to par. This morning I woke up at 4:00 and couldn't go back to sleep to almost 6:00. Wes's clock begins going off at about 6:15, and mine joins his a few minutes later to make sure one of us gets up. We're real sleepyheads! LOL Well, this morning I had just gone back to sleep when the clocks began their reign of terror, and it was so hard to get up! So this afternoon after lunch I took a bit of a nap. I think I'll still go to bed a bit early tonight, just because I still feel a little run down. Hopefully this cold will move on and not be here on Saturday.

Did I tell you all that I got a bread machine? I found one on Craigslist for free. That is exactly what I wanted to do! Years ago, a friend of ours had a bread machine, and Wes wasn't impressed with the bread it made, so I never thought twice about getting one. Then a few months ago I began noticing that some of the ladies whose blogs I read would use their bread machines to make dough, then bake the bread in the oven, or they would make rolls or pizza dough. So I began keeping an eye on Craigslist and Freecycle for a free one, figuring if we didn't like it, we wouldn't be out any money. About three weeks ago, I found one. It's an old (very old) Panasonic, with just two settings - dough and bread - and a delay timer feature. I've been playing with it, mostly making rolls and pizza dough, and we've been pleased with those. The bread, not so much. The crust is too hard, and there's no way to change the crust setting. This machine only makes one size loaf - it must be one pound, because the recipe I tried for a 1 1/2 pound loaf was too big. We would like to have a bigger loaf. I also found out that there really is a difference between bread flour and all-purpose flour, and not much difference (that I've found) in regular yeast and bread machine yeast. I really love putting the ingredients in and coming back to dough ready to shape or bread nice and hot for dinner! For a freebie, this one is great and doing its job very well.

That's it for what we've been doing. I hope all your holiday plans are going well!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Craig's list...to buy and to sell....great bargains at times......your open house sounds wonderful...when we lived in Italy we would do it on Christmas Eve and have about 40-50 people over...it was a blessing..alot of work...getting ready..but so worth it.......
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara H.8:57 AM

    Wow, you're busy!! Hope you get to feeling better soon. Your events sound like fun.

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a bread machine several years ago and gave it away. We didn't care for it for the same reasons you mentioned. Now after reading the same things you mentioned on the blogs I wish I didn't.

    I hope you're feeling better soon. (o:

    Blessings,
    ~Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin