Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Wednesday's Doings

Today has been a bit of a hectic day. I forgot that another missionary couple were coming this morning to pick up a Power Point presentation that Wes had done for them, so my house was still a mess from the decorating and cleaning I'm doing. You know how messy your house gets when you clean a little more than usual? Does yours get that way? Mine always looks worse before it looks better. So anyway, they were stepping over my boxes of Christmas decorations, while facing the little stack of recyclable boxes that needed to go out to the recycle bins, in my kitchen that still had breakfast dishes waiting to go into the dishwasher. I was looking at Mrs. C's new bulldog (I love bullies) when they arrived, and I was embarrassed. There was even a huge, dry leaf that had hitched a ride into the house on someone's shoe sitting right smack in the middle of the front hall! What could I do but say, "Excuse the mess, please" and invite them on in. They didn't stay long, but it was nice to chat with the wife for a few minutes, even further delaying my dive into housework for the day. But worth it! ;)

After that late start to my day, I threw the ingredients for Buttery Rolls into my handy-dandy bread machine and went to work on the kitchen. We had Parmesan Chicken, from the Sue Gregg Main Dishes cookbook, with those rolls for dinner. Andrew just loves those rolls. The boy eats at least 4 of them to start with, then eats more if he feels the need during the rest of the meal. This is the same son we had to force to eat when he was younger. I guess they do grow out of that phase?! Parmesan Chicken is also a favorite of my family. Wes came downstairs just before dinner was ready and accused me of torturing him with all the smells coming up the stairs. It makes me feel that I'm fulfilling part of my purpose when my family looks forward to the meals I make, and then eats their fill. Their enthusiastic response makes it fun to cook!

My cold got a little more feisty today, so I took another nap after lunch. Wes went out to mail some cards, so I roused up long enough to ask him to buy me some more cold medicine. I took some when he got home, and now I feel pretty perky. I don't know why I despise taking medicine so much. My mother was so sick when I was a teenager and was on so many medications that she had to be careful what she took, and I guess I just assumed that I shouldn't just run to the medicine cabinet for every little ache or pain. I don't know why that should affect me. But Wes has to remind me, if I have a headache or a cold or a pain of some sort, that I can take something to help with that. Then I resist, saying I'll be ok, then I take it and feel so much better! LOL

Late this afternoon I cleaned the living room and dining room. It's starting to look really good in here, y'all! I mentioned to Beth how much I love it when everything is shining, but it doesn't happen nearly often enough. I think we have our Christmas tree finished now. It just needs presents! ;) I put my little rocking chair, that was at my Grandma's when I was a little girl, beside the tree with a doll and a couple of teddy bears in it, and it gives a nice effect. Tomorrow I plan to clean our bedroom and ensuite bath. Wes is going to clear up the patio/carport for me (it's not wide enough for our car, so we use it as a patio) to make it more welcoming for our guests this season, and I'll spruce up the porch. Andrew hung lights around the door for me last night, and they look so pretty!

My goodness, I've been rambling! I'll go for now and watch West Coast Baptist College's Christmas Festival, streaming live beginning at 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time - which is right now. Samuel is in the college choir, which will be singing tonight. One of his friends possibly has a solo part in the program; as of Sunday afternoon, they weren't sure if he had gotten the part or not. This is one of the perks of having our midweek service on Thursday night: we get to watch any performances on Wednesday night that Samuel is involved in. I'm really going now!

5 comments:

  1. Whew! You *did* have a busy day--and with a cold to boot! I sure hope you feel better soon! And yes, I can relate to the house looking worse before it gets better--in a big way! LOL

    Funny you should mention the Sue Gregg cookbooks--I was just looking through a box today and saw mine and wondered if I should keep them because it's been so long since I've used them. They are well worn though! We'll see! : )

    Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know exactly what you mean, about your house getting worse before it gets better!

    Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara H.5:43 AM

    Doesn't it seem like that's when unexpected company comes -- right when things aren't as put together as we'd like? Though when I go to someone else's home and things are like that, inwardly I'm a little glad -- not in a vindictive way, but it just reminds me that no one's home is constantly picked up and shiny clean 24/7, so I don't have to feel guilty when mine is not.

    I've heard of Sue Gregg but never gotten any of her cookbooks. I'll have to look for one. I have to confess, cooking isn't one of my favorite things to do, and I have to remind myself it's a ministry to my family.

    I do that with medication, too. I guess I have taken so many things over the years that did have side effects that made me prefer the illness to the treatment, that I've gotten into a habit of going without. I had a really strange headache for three days this week and had to remind myself it was perfectly ok to take ibuprofen -- felt so much better! I have to take it with food, though, or else it gives me indigestion. It doesn't seem to do that with my husband.

    Have a good Thursday!

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your busy day..sounds like what I need to do today...and you know one of the most hospitable, warm ...and truly compassionate Christian women I have ever known...well her house was always chaotic....maybe you or I could not live like that...but when you went to her house...she was just so glad to see you..enjoy your company....and you felt blessed in her presence...nothing else mattered.....
    Sue Gregg....I took a series of her cooking classes years ago when she did them in her home..it was all hands on and so much fun...great woman and books....real keepers IMHO...
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan,
    I hope you feel better soon. Are the Sue Gregg cookbooks healthy cooking? Like with whole grains and such? I would like to learn about them.
    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin