Saturday, December 22, 2007

Crafty Things

I haven't done a lot of crafting this whole year, let alone this Christmas season, but I did do a couple of things recently that I'd like to show you.

First, remember the book I was looking at when I overflowed my kitchen sink? It was Christmas Handcrafts, published in 1992 by Oxmoor House. In it was an idea to use an old quilt to make quilted stars; this one was for a star to top the Christmas tree. Well, I have an old, holey quilt that belonged to my Granny, and I've been wondering what to do with it. It's so full of holes that there's no hope of repairing it, and I know Granny would say, "Well, Susie, it's just an old quilt; do what you want to with it." So I decided to make a star out of a piece of it, to see how I liked it. So I cut into that quilt, and found that the inside is typical of old quilts: it's filled, not with cotton batting, but an old wool blanket! So I cut out two squares big enough to make my star, then I put them back-to-back and sewed them together with my amateur version of a blanket stitch. It doesn't look great, definitely not professional, but I was wanting the primitive look anyway. And here is my star, reminding me of my Granny as it rests in the arms of a teddy bear next to our Christmas tree . . . I think I want to make more things from that old quilt - a pillow comes to mind, and maybe more stars.


The other thing I did this week was alter an Altoids mint tin. I ran across the idea on this blog, followed the links she provided for her inspiration, and found myself searching all over the internet for tutorials and ideas for altering Altoid tins! I grabbed some of my patterend paper that I use for cardmaking, made some decoupage medium from white glue and a little water, and went to work. Here is the result. I like it, and I can see a new hobby on the horizon!





My thanks to our son, Andrew, for taking the pics for me!

7 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas from our home to yours...looking forward to January?????
    ALSO

    love that start...oh would a garland of them looks so great?

    I love seeing thos altoid tins covered...you did a great job....
    The pictures are great....
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to turn your grandmother's quilt into a star! Sometimes we keep these old keepsakes because of the memories but don't know what to do with them. Now you have something new and nice while preserving the memories of you grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the star from the quilt. It's so cute as is, but the fact that it came from your grandmother's quilt makes it so special.

    I hadn't heard of altering Altoid's tins. It turned out cute!

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for all the typos, Susan...must have been dog tired....
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those crafts are so adorable! I love that star pillow! Great use of an old quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful crafts, Susan!! I need to learn that altoid tin craft... looks like so much fun. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking to my blog! Your tin is just darling! And I love your blog! I'll be visitng often.
    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin