Monday, December 17, 2007

BooMama's Christmas Tour of Homes

Christmas Tour of Homes

Today is BooMama's Christmas Tour of Homes! I was so excited to participate this year, and I was going to try to get my post ready last night and publish it early today. Well, we ended up in a little accident last night, so when we got home, I just really wasn't thinking much about a Tour of Homes, exciting as it is. So now it's 3:30 in the afternoon out here on the West Coast, so I'm pretty late getting my tour up. Hopefully you'll still enjoy it, late though it is. I have just a few pictures, which were made a week ago Saturday during our church's annual Ladies' Christmas Brunch, which was held in our home this year.

Here is our tree, decorated by our 16-year-old son, Andrew, and our 14-year-old daughter, Beth. They wanted a blue and silver theme, so I let them run with it. I think they did a great job! This is the first year we've decorated the tree with any kind of theme.


Here is my favorite feature of the house we moved into this year: the fireplace!!! On the mantel you see my three Willow Tree figures that my children gave me for my birthday this year; they have been a part of every decorating project on my mantel this year, and they fit perfectly. To the right of the fireplace you see a porcelain doll dressed in her winter finery. That doll was given to us by my Grandma several years ago, and I'm so pleased to have the perfect place to display her this year! Grandma passed away three years ago this week, so this doll is especially dear to me now. Being that this was the day the Brunch was hosted in our home, that's my Bible there on the left, with a hymnbook and a little bowl with names of Christmas carols on slips of paper for the game we played that day. Those are not permanent fixtures in my Christmas decor! ;)


Next is our dining room. If you came to eat dinner with us, this is how the table would look. I have determined that we will use the good china more than once a year. This set belonged to my mother, who passed away when I was a teenager. I can remember maybe twice in my childhood that Mama got out this set, and it was always when company came. Now I have it, and I was doing the same thing. Then I realized that she didn't take it to Heaven with her, and I won't be taking it with me, either, so we might as well enjoy it down here! This table was set for our Ladies' Brunch. I tried the candles for one family meal - with Wes, the kids, and myself - and we nearly had flaming soup and sandwiches that night! So I'll save the candles for more sedate affairs (if there are such things in this house), occasions when we're not passing stuff all around while we talk and laugh and not paying attention to the candles and how high that little flame is burning. Ahem.


Here is a favorite ornament that I've set on my kitchen windowsill. We moved here to Vancouver, Canada, just over three years ago, from the Deep South, where I've lived most of my life. Cracker Barrel restaurants have been a part of that proud Southern heritage, so when we travel back down south, we have to have at last one meal at Cracker Barrel. When we were last home for American Thanksgiving, two years ago, I found this little ornament, fell in love with it, and brought it home with me (we paid for it first!). This year it's sitting on my windowsill where I can look at it and imagine myself sitting in one of those big ol' rockers on the front porch, enjoying me a Mason jar of iced tea! ;) If anybody decides to open a CB in western Canada, please let me know. We'll be your first customers!


I can't let you go without seeing my Christmas cactus (cacti, actually) that were given to me two years ago. I couldn't get them to bloom for the past two years, but this year, in my kitchen window, they have just gone to town! I'm so proud of them, although I've kept them alive quite by accident! It seems that they need a cool, sunny place to bloom, and that's what I've given them on that windowsill, and they are rewarding me with bunches of blooms. I'm planning to repot them this spring, hoping to get an even better show next Christmas!


I hope you've enjoyed your Christmas tour of our home! We're in a "new" home this year, a blessing from God, and I've so enjoyed making it cozy for my family and friends to enjoy! Merry Christmas!

27 comments:

  1. I'm a late joiner as well. Thanks for sharing your lovely home. It looks so charming. I love the mantel....and your Willow Tree items go wonderfully up there! I also love the CB ornament. I wonder if I could still find one. I'm in the midwest, and we have a CB not too far from us. They have the best biscuits and gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. Your home looks beautiful too. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks lovely!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I enjoyed the tour of your home. Very festive! The flowers are so pretty!

    The Cracker Barrel ornament is cute. Have to say, we don't have the fondness for Cracker Barrel as you, I'm sure. :) We go maybe once a year. I just go to shop! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh Lovely. I really enjoyed that you set your table for the occasion. I love your dolls and teddies as well. Merry Christmas.

    Mica from Garb-oodles Soup
    http://garboodles.typepad.com/

    P.S. Thank you also for stopping by my blog and leaving the lovely comment. my blogger account addy is for my homeschooling blog I keep. Blessings !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home looks so pretty! Thanks for sharing pictures of it with us! I haven't put as many decorations up this year yet - and you're making me want to get to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara H.7:53 PM

    Our wedding was near Christmas, and our colors were blue and silver, too. :-)

    Cracker Barrel is one of my favorite restaurants, too, thought my family isn't thrilled with it. I used to go with a set of friends til they all started teaching. That ornament is darling.

    Everything is lovely!

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your decorations are lovely Susan! And I have the very same Cracker Barrel ornament! We *love* CB and always go when we are in Alabama. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful decorations. I love your fireplace also. Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a nice home. The kids did such a nice job in decorating. I love Cracker Barrel too. We have one about 30 mins from us. Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Cracker Barrel!!! Enjoyed my visit. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Christmas cacti! My mother always has a beautiful one that she has had for years. Thanks for stopping by my house too! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your home looks so warm and inviting. I'm sorry you were in an accident but glad you are all okay.
    Your blue and silver tree is lovely! I love the beautiful Christmas Cactus!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan,
    How pretty.
    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Merry Christmas and say hello to Sam for us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your decorations are very pretty. I love the blue theme Christmas tree. Your kids did a great job! I'd let them do it every year! Decorating the tree can be a lot of work. Maybe they will take it down too?....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susan the kids did a great job with the tree! I also love the willow tree, I have 3 and I just love them. Your home looks wonderful and thanks for stopping by mine! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susan ~ Your home looks wonderful! I really like your blue and silver tree. And I *especially* like that Cracker Barrel ornament! :o) Our children each get a new ornament every year, and we very often go to Cracker Barrel for them. [Did you know that when we moved one year ago we moved *away* from the little town that Cracker Barrel started in. We know *many*many* people employed at their corporate headquarters. And you just can't beat that hash brown casserole, or chicken fried steak, or turnip greens, or ... ;o)]

    Now before my cholesterol starts rising *hee*hee*, let me change subjects to add that I *love* your Christmas cacti. They are beautiful!! I can't wait to see what they do for you next year.

    Hugs to you! Many blessings to you and Wes, Samuel, Andrew and Beth! In case you don't post again, I wish you and your dear family a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed your home tour! I'm thinking the silver & blue tree must be in honor of the Dallas Cowboys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I love your mantle with the Willow Tree figurines!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you have inspired me to try a Christmas cactus again. They never did much for me in S. Carolina, but I sure could give them a cool sunny window here in IL. They are beautiful. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice decorations. Andrew and Beth did a great job decorating the tree. I love blue and silver together. Those are nice Christmas Cactus. They are beautiful. Thanks for giving us a tour of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Susan, everything looks beautiful! I am so glad you are all OK (though aching) and that you could still take part in the tour of homes. I wanted to take part so much but there just was not time to prepare. Hopefully I can do my own little "home tour" and just put the pics up on my blog when I find a minute.

    Love the blue & silver tree! And the Cracker Barrel ornament -- well, I *need* one of those! We love Cracker Barrel, both for the food and for the shopping, but the closest one is over an hour away so we don't go often.

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. your house looks so warm and cozy!

    i especially like the mantle decoations.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the Christmas cactus and it is blooming! Sorry about your accident, may you be well and have safety and good health in 2008.
    Merry Christmas.

    Alyson
    LID 01/27/06

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin