Friday, November 30, 2007

Never Before

Today I did something I've never done before. I didn't even have to think about it. It just happened. I was working in the kitchen. I was gathering dirty towels to wash, and I remembered that the tablecloth needed to be washed. I walked into the dining room and began taking books and papers off the table so I could get the cloth off. Yes, my table was covered in books and papers. I have not arrived yet. During meals the past couple of days, I've just moved the papers down to the end of the table. Because I'm just going to need them again, you know. Anyway, there was a library book of Christmas crafts on the table, and it had something in it that I want to make, so I very quickly (just for a second, you know) looked in it to find the instructions so I'll be ready to make it when I get ready to make it. That's very important, you know.

All of this was fine, and I was happy as a clam, getting my work done and getting ready to make a craft to boot, when a sound met my ears. The sound of running water. That is not so unusual, since Andrew and Beth regularly come downstairs to make coffee, get a drink, or something like that. But I hadn't seen anyone go past the kitchen door. I didn't worry though, because they have been known to go so quietly that I don't hear them. Especially if I'm looking at a craft book. Ahem. The sound continued, kind of a slurping, slipping sound. Like water slopping around. I vaguely wondered if I'd left water running. Then a little less vaguely, I thought I remembered starting a sink of hot, soapy water so I could wipe down the counters. I had been cleaning up the kitchen . . . began gathering towels . . . I sprang up and ran into the kitchen. My suspicions were no longer vague. They were clearly confirmed. There was water running. Everywhere. I have a big kitchen, and the water was already running across about half of the floor. Into drawers. Into bottom cabinets. Under small appliances on the counter. Under the stove and fridge. Almost under the freezer. Everywhere. I grabbed the nearest towels - clean ones already folded - and sopped up most of it. Then I mopped up the rest. Then I went upstairs and told Wes what had happened. He said, "Well, at least you didn't cry." Which promptly brought tears to my eyes! LOL

You know how, every few weeks, you have a hard time not crying or not exploding all over your family or not taking 15 naps during the day? That's me today. This happened before 10:00 this morning. And it's been like this all day. I hope the fuzz will disappear from my brain while I sleep tonight. I miss my brain.

8 comments:

  1. did you get your award from me yet?
    Michelle c(VUH and momofmhasr)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susan -- I sympathize.

    I was in the store the other day, and I don't know why I thought of my phone number, but all of a sudden I couldn't remember my own phone number. It almost made me panic -- I had to get out my cell phone and look it up just to remind myself. When I told my husband he said, "Well, you don't call your own number as much as others." But it seems like I am asked it all the time or have to put it on forms. I usually rattle it off with no problem.

    I wonder what we'll by like at 60? :-) But I won;t worry about that now -- sufficient unto the day are the evils thereof.

    Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you to do you mind - but i laughed when I read your post! :) I have had days like that too - one of them ended up in my husband's sermon illistration!

    I hope you got your rest and are feeling better.

    Blessings,
    ~Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I bet that wasn't a fun mess to clean up.

    I think most of us have had brain freezes at times and it can be a bit scary. Like Barbara said I always think...If I have them now what will it be like when I'm old?!

    I hope the rest of your day is better!

    Blessings,
    ~Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe, I made oatmeal cookies earlier this week and forgot to put in the OATMEAL!

    It is so good to know other people have "one of those days".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I don't know how long mine's been missing -- at least since I was pregnant with Caleb, and since I'm still nursing, I don't know when it will come back, LOL!

    Don't feel too badly, though because you're not the only one! I did something similar when we were in Japan -- the water covered the entire kitchen floor... which needed a good mopping anyway, so really, it was very helpful (at least, that's what I tell myself).

    The good news is, I'm way ahead of you, and I'm only 22, so I'll probably be much worse off by the time I'm 60. The bad news is, I'm only 22, so my future looks grim, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I feel for ya! Hope you can sleep it off! Brains are nice things to have access to aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww, that is something i would do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin