Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

I realize my Thanksgiving greeting is quite late, but this is the first chance I've had today to write a post! I hope you all had a wonderful, joyful, stuffed holiday! Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, either here or in the US, because it's a family holiday, but without the pressure of gift-giving that Christmas brings. We celebrated with Pastor and Mrs. Conner, along with four other families and Mrs. Conner's mother visiting from the US. Someone counted 14 children among us! Our two teens and the two other teen girls took care of all the younger kiddos, taking them to the park and playing hockey there and in the back yard. We enjoyed so much the time of fellowship and fun. I thank the Lord for the opportunity to focus twice in one year on His goodness to us and to give Him a special time of thanks for all His gifts to us!

I had fun calling several relatives this morning while I was finishing up my cooking for dinner. I called my parents and got to talk to all of my siblings who are in the US (one sister and her family are missionaries in Mexico). It was good to talk to my brothers, my sister, and sister-in-law. By the time I talked to my dad, he was already ready for a nap in the recliner! LOL I could just see him leaned back watching all the kids playing and trying to hear what I was saying! ;) I also called Sam at my uncle's house in California. The first time I called, he was still asleep. I won't tell you what time that was. Just know that my aunt had told the guys to sleep in as long as they wanted, as long as they were showered and dressed by the 2:00 p.m. dinner time, and they took her instructions to heart! ;) I guess that's ok, because these guys are up and in school by 7:30 every morning, while I'm just getting dressed at that time. I asked Sam if he was having fun, and he said, "Oh, yeah! We're watchin' football!" Football. Family, tradition, holiday warmth? No . . . football! ;) I so appreciate my uncle and aunt opening their home to Sam and two of his Canadian friends from college. It's nice to know they're being taken care of! The guys will be driving back to Lancaster tomorrow evening.

We've made arrangements for Sam's Christmas break. He'll get to spend one week with us, due to his job/lack of permanent employment. UPS has him till December 18th, then they can't guarantee him anything past that. So he'll just come home for a week, then go back to see what he needs to do for either another job or securing the one at UPS permanently. Sigh. I would love to make this easy for him, but God sure has taught Him a lot about trust and living by faith this fall. As a mother, I have mixed feelings. I'd love to make life so easy for my children, but I know that we don't learn faith by having an easy life, and I'm learning even more about trusting God now that one of my children is learning to trust Him! Isn't that amazing? I never expected that. Each phase of parenthood has something for me to learn!

Anyway, enjoy your weekend, if you have time off or more holiday stuff planned. I guess Christmas season is officially started now! I love this time of year!

1 comment:

  1. And a belated happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

    I know what you mean about wanting to smooth the way and make life easy for your kids, yet knowing that going through the things they do is an opportunity to grow in their faith -- and ours too as we trust the Lord for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin