Wednesday, October 31, 2007

We're Still Here!

It's been a few days since I posted last. I haven't been overly busy; I just haven't had any bloggy thoughts so much. I'm getting back into my exercise routine after doing nothing for about three weeks. Why is it so hard to start exercising after you haven't done any for a few weeks?

Wes and I went for our monthly shopping trip on Monday, so that was an all-day affair. I was pretty worn out when we got home, so I put away the cold/frozen stuff, fixed some supper, took a nap, and then put away the rest of the groceries after I woke up. I was in bed at about 9:30 that night! The wonderful thing was that Beth had done all the laundry while we were gone, including changing the sheets on our bed and making it for me. I was just going to wait an extra day to do our sheets, so it was an extra-special treat to come home to a bed made with fresh sheets (and all the laundry done)!

I've also been working on Wes's eagle cross stitch that I started . . . oh . . . about ten. years. ago. Honestly! Would that make me a procrastinator? I've realized that what happens is that I work, work, work on it for a few weeks, till I get sick of it, then I put it down . . . indefinitely. Now I'm trying to finish it by Christmas by working on it just 30 minutes a day. That seems to be working, because I don't sit down to work on it for hours - just 30 minutes - then I put it away. It's really keeping me anxious to do more. I have finished the eagle completely (except for backstitching, which I do last), and now I'm working on getting all the trees and mountains done. I'm finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this bird. I'm not sure I'll do anything this big again for a while. I'm anxious to do some small things and learn the various finishes for them, like ornaments and pinkeeps. I'm fascinated with all the beautiful little things that can be made from all kinds of designs. I've been looking at them the past several days in my "spare" time (ahem).

A question about cross stitch. I have never stitched on linen or evenweave fabric; only on aida. All the instructions I've read for stitching on linen say not to use a hoop and to hold the fabric over 2 or 3 fingers and use a sewing motion rather than the stabbing motion used with a hoop. I have some evenweave fabric that I've tried this on, and to be honest, the stitches look horrible when I use this method. But when I just hold it in a way that feels comfortable to me and still use my stabbing method, they look fine. So. Can I use a hoop with linen, and do I have to use the sewing motion? And please tell me I don't have to hold the fabric over my 3 fingers and get a bad hand cramp every time!

November is Missions Month at our church. I started a 5-part missions story last week in Sunday school, and I'm trying to do color pages and crafts that emphasize the theme of the story: Here am I; send me (Isaiah 6:8). I'm basically having to use bits and pieces that I find and make my own crafts. Last week we made a Leaf Man that I printed our memory verse on. This week I'm thinking about making a boy and girl and print the verse on them. I used these two dolls to make a visual for the song I'm using, Majesty Music's Here Am I, Lord (just the chorus) as our theme song this month. I also used a couple of squares of this worksheet. I used the color templates, cut them out, and glued them to the printed pages with the words. Very colorful! Wes has planned a giveaway with a missions theme, each Sunday morning for each family who attends, and each Sunday night he is showing a missions video. On two of the Sundays we're having missionaries in our services. At the end of the month, we'll renew our Faith Promise commitments.

So that's where we are and what we're doing. Hopefully I'll be a bit more posty in the next few days!

11 comments:

  1. Missed you! Isn't it great to get into a fresh made bed! Nothin' better. what a wonderful thing for your daughter to do. The cross-stitch looks great the one I am working on says rejoice always and has a small picture for each season. Got to get back to it ! Have a great day tomorrow! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the queen of procrastination. I started qn afghan for my mom back in the early 70's & have never gotten around to finishing it. I started a cover for a pillow we have that is dingy & the stains won't come out, then stopped that to do some underpants for a stuffed reindeer I have & some leggings for her to protect her legs. I got the underpants done & one legging but need to finish the other one. Now I am working on blankets for a baby niece & nephew. I bought fleece blankets with threaded edging & am crocheting on to that. I was doing one for my mom too but stopped that to work on the ones for the babies so they will get them for Christmas. At the rate I am going they will be 30 & married before I ever finish & my mom will be 100. When I finish all this I want to crchet some doily things to go on the arms of the couch & chair in the living room. Grand idea but then they never get finished lol. Last yr I bought a stamped crostich of a lighthouse & never got it started yet. Stamped is the only kind I can do as counted is too onfusing. Best wishes with the missions conferences. Mike won a cake at a cakewalk at a Baptist churches Harvest festial so we are gonna take it to Sundays church dinner. Then I won't have to cook... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a humongous project! 30 minutes a day sounds like a great way to keep at it without becoming overwhelmed.

    Our missions conference is next week. I am supposed to restock the missions closet, but we've has mouse problems in there and I had to take a bunch of stuff out to be washed and wipe everything down with disinfecting wipes. We caught one critter and haven't seen any new "evidence" yet, so I am hoping it is safe to put stuff back in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan ~ at last year's Christmas Open House at the local x-stitch store I bought a beautiful piece of linen. The lady told me if I EVER stitched a pattern on linen I'd NEVER want to go back to aida again. She said she'd show me how if I just came back to the store when she wasn't busy with the Open House customers.

    I've never been back! A whole year has passed, and I've not made time to go in. Just this week I received a postcard in the mail from her announcing this year's Christmas Open House! How could a year have gone by so quickly?!

    I think I will take her up on her offer to show me how (maybe after the holidays), and I will pass along to you any tips she gives me.

    (I have many "in-the-works" x-stitches like your eagle, and you're right..when you take just a small portion of your day doing something, it actually gets done rather than waiting and waiting for that ever elusive large chunk of time!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    You have been missed..
    Your Eagle sounds wonderful. My days of cross-stitching are gone..I cannot keep track..so I embroider...easier to me. Now I know Elizabeth cross sticthes ...I think..and the Michelle at Sew m Sews(on my sidebar) cross stitches more than anyone I have ever heard of.....I say..do what works for you.
    We just had a wonderful missions conference too....John Goetch jr. was our speaker..and was it ever powerful...did the Faith Promise thing etc..it was such a blessing to me.
    You have done a wonderful job or should I say you are doing a wonderful job of training that daughter of yours....oh to come home to someone who had done my sheets..that would be heaven...just love the feel of clean sheets...Our last set was an unually very high thread count..now my daughter says I am a sheet snob.....tsk..tsk..
    Glad to have you back..but I do thnk all of us here do understamd when we can't or don't post...it is called *LIFE*
    Deby
    btw...I am having a giveaway on my blog..and I WILL ship to Canada...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! I LOVE linen for cross stitch. I will confess that I never use a hoop, because I'm too impatient and I can't hold the material the way I want (even with Aida). However, my advice would be, hold the material ANY way that best suits you, or use a hoop -- whatever is most comfortable and yields the best results. Really, its the results that will prove your method as being correct. So, I guess you just have to play around to maximize comfort and results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet of your daughter to help you out with the laundry. What a blessing.

    I will be praying for you this month as you have your missions month.

    Trust everything goes well in getting ready for Sunday.

    Blessings,
    ~Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a firm believer in working on things in small segments of time like you are doing with the needlework. 30 minutes a day or even 15 minutes a day will get the job done! I've done quilts that way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,
    I have lots of projects going on at once. I sometimes work on something for a long time.Glad to see you back. I think we both have needed extra rest this week.
    I had a few more lessons to learn. You have been so encouraging to me. Thank you for your friendship and kindness.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan---When I was in Georgia I did a monthly shopping trip--with a few go betweens for produce and dairy--now, I am back to doing it weekly--I am not sure which I like more yet.

    Anyway, would you by chance share your list of groceries you stock up on for the month? I am so nosey..LOL. If you don't want to , I completely understand too:)

    That sure was sweet of Beth to do all of your laundry:)

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about how hard it is to get back into an exercise routine. The only way I know to do it, is just do it! ;-)

    I've never cross-stitched on linen either, so am interested to find out what you think about it.

    Your daughter is so sweet to do those things for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin