Saturday, October 13, 2007

This 'N That

Hello! Thank you all for your sweet, kind wishes for a Happy Anniversary for Wes and me. We did indeed have a wonderful time - we shared our day with about 50 other couples! LOL

Yesterday and today were the Couples' Retreat that I mentioned earlier in the week. We left the house about 10:00 yesterday morning to pick up the other two couples from our church, and got back home a little past 4:00 this afternoon. We had a great time! The retreat is always a time to refresh, reconnect, and recharge. The speaker this year was Dr. Rick Adams, pastor of Greater Portland Baptist Church in Portland, OR. We played several "couple" games, including that old game "Honey, if you love me you'll smile," in which our husbands attempted to make us wives smile. The goal was for us to say say, "Honey, I love you, but I just won't smile" without smiling or laughing. Well. I am a smiler - and a laugher - and my Honey didn't even have to say one word to make me not only smile, but burst out laughing! All I did was look at him! We ate lunch at the retreat both days. Yesterday's lunch was sushi (not a big hit at all), but today's was all sorts of pasta dishes, with salad and bread. We did have pinwheel sandwiches with the sushi, by the way. Otherwise many of us would have starved! ;) There are so many cultures here in Vancouver that many of the people love sushi, but there were just as many who don't. Pastor Mackay, the host pastor, made a pastoral declaration after lunch yesterday: no more sushi!

We had a total of four teaching sessions, one of which was split, with the men in one room and the ladies in another. All the teaching was solid and biblical, much of which were things that I needed to be reminded of. Wes and I have a great marriage, but that just doesn't happen by accident, and we can and do let things get a little stale every now and then. And that's why we go to these retreats when we can.

For dinner last night, each couple was on their own to go to any restaurant they chose. Wes made reservations for our group to eat together at a marina-side restaurant in downtown Vancouver called Provence. The name sounds French, but it's actually only the atmosphere that is French. The cuisine was more Mediterranean, with beef, chicken, and seafood cooked. to. perfection. Oh, it was so good! We enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, very nice for a "couple" type meal. We enjoyed the fellowship with the other two couples from our church.

After we returned to our hotel room, we received a call from one of our men, telling us that both couples were coming down to our room - don't get too comfy yet! LOL Wes looked a little unsure about this arrangement, as you can imagine - this was our time now. But what they did was bring us a beautiful miniature orchid plant in a decorative container, a gift for our anniversary. I was so surprised! We had told them that their coming to the conference was their gift to us, and we meant that, but how sweet of them to bring us another gift. Now I just have to learn to take care of it. And you know how we women are: every time I look at that orchid, I'll be reminded of this weekend and our precious church family!

We finished dinner early enough that Wes and I had plenty of time for just ourselves. The retreat schedule releases us at 4:00 on Friday and doesn't meet again till 11:00 the next morning. We get to sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast. So we got to totally relax and enjoy each other - something I've begun to look forward to each year at these retreats!

Once again, thank you all so much for your sweet anniversary wishes! I cherish my readers, and your kind words are always a blessing to me.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you had a wonderful anniversary AND retreat! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you have a wonderful, peaceful, restful, and glorious blessing....
    so happy for you that it could be on your anniversary,, making it more special..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Susan, it sounds wonderful and I can't think of a better place to spend a wedding anniversary than at a couples retreat learning how to be better followers of Christ and better mates! I'm so glad you all had a wonderful time. The Provence looks and sounds wonderful!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. It is neat that the retreat fell on the weekend of your anniversary.

    Hope you have a great week.

    Prayers,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry I missed wishing you a Happy Anniversary. I'm so glad you had a good one. God is good, isn't He?

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin