Friday, October 26, 2007

This Must Be Mission Conference Season

I have heard of SO many churches having missions conferences during this month! During the first half of this week, Lancaster Baptist Church, where our son Sam is a Bible college student, had their missions conference. Jungle Mom was there - Sam got to meet her! - and we got to see Sam sing in a missionary-kid group on Wednesday night. Wes recorded their singing with the latest Real Audio player, and I was going to put it here on my blog for everyone to see, but he found out that it's only viewable in the latest Real Audio player! So if you don't have that, you wouldn't be able to see it. We still may post it, but it's a hassle to have to go download a brand new player just to see a guy you don't even know! ;)

The last half of this week, Greater Vancouver Baptist Church, which is our sponsoring church here in Canada, is conducting their missions conference. Every year, on Friday afternoon of the conference, they host a luncheon for the missionaries in their conference and invite their missionaries in the area to join in. So we get invited each year, and today was the day. We were served carrot soup, ham, potatoes, stuffing, green beans, rolls, and apple dumplings with ice cream - it was delicious. My blood sugar proves it! ;) We always enjoy the fellowship with other missionaries, to compare experiences, encourage each other, and catch up on each other's ministries. We met a wonderful, godly couple who have been in the ministry for 30 years, visiting another pastor here in Vancouver. The husband, who is a pastor, spoke to us at the luncheon, and then we heard him again tonight at the conference. It's always nice to sit back and soak in the preaching. I'm sure my husband really enjoys it, as he is usually the one doing the preaching! We sure are grateful for GVBC taking us into their family when we arrived in Vancouver, and for including us as one of their missionary families!

We sang at the conference tonight. It's been a long time since we've sung together. We did it all the time on deputation and just kind of dropped it after we got here. Wes mentioned yesterday that we need to pick it up again and just do it for enjoyment. I agree. It's fun to sing together. Families used to do that all the time, before the widespread use of the TV. They sang, read, and played together and built those family relationships. I think it would be nice for us to get back to that ourselves! I'll have to see what I can do to help that come to pass.

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I would love to hear an audio clip or even a video of your family singing! Oh it will be up on your blog tomorrow first thing you say? LOL

    I read at Jungle Mom's blog that they got to meet your son and that you should be proud. I'm so happy for you. This actually brought tears just now as I typed it!

    Susan, honey, watch those sugar levels! I remember you sharing with me that you and I share a certain *disease*. Praying for you to feel good.

    I'm so glad you all get to fellowhsip with other missionaries. I know that makes the journey sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing! We love to visit other missionaries too. Have a great weekend!

    God Bless
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This past month has been missions month. I have had a missionary over for a meal every week this month. It has been great. Tomorrow will finish up the month -with out last missionary.

    We usually average one missionary a month on a regular month.

    Next month will start our family month - with the preaching all focusing on the family. I will be teaching a ladies SS class for the first one. I am going to do a session I did when I spoke at a ladies retreat this past spring - "Designed by God - Meeting your Full Potential in the Home".

    Well, Grace - at least we can say we are not bored in the ministry!

    Hope you have a great Sunday tomorrow.

    Love and Prayers,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. the video of your family singing sounds really nice... I would love to see and hear it...
    It is so wonderful when a family sings together...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,
    I have just come across your blog via another site and I just would like to say how beautiful it is. I am also enjoying reading your entries and look forward to coming back often.

    Blessings
    Page

    ReplyDelete
  6. We LOVE missions conferences!
    What a blessing that fellowship and conference must have been.
    And we love to sing together, too... so far we only do it at home but I would love to do it as a family in church one day. If not, home suits me just fine. It delights my heart to hear my children singing out.

    Thank you for your comment today
    and for linking to my post in your sidebar. They were a blessing and encouragement.

    Have a blessed Lord's Day tomorrow.
    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved meeting your son. He delivered a gift to us from the student missionary prayer band. I really just had to hug him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes with your blood sugars & the missiona conferences. Here in VA the conferences are opposite of ya'lls. Right now churches are having their revival meetings & in the spring are the missions conferences. The IFB Baptist church down the road from us is having their revivial this week & in front of another IFB church in town was a sign proclaiming a revivial was gonna be going on in early Nov. Our churches revival is next week. Some churches like ours call them Famil Bible conferences but it's the same thing. One of our churches former pastors is coming back to do our & it will be nice to see him again. He married Mike & I along with another former pastor of the church. I've go so much going on I will be very busy the next 2 weeks lol. Fun events tho like church stuff & seeing friends. I bet you guys sing good. Blessings to your family. Prayers just said for ya'll...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny...I too was noticing that there are a lot of revival meetings and such going on. As you said...it must be the season! (Isn't it just like God to counter-act Halloween with lots of special meetings? :) )

    God bless!
    ~Chelsie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin