Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Thanksgiving Question

I had meant to write about this this week, after the excitement of Thanksgiving died down here at the house. Debbie Ann asked this question in the comments on my post from Monday:
I know you've lived in Canada now for a while and are probably used to it, but I was just wondering... do you miss Thanksgiving in the U.S.?

I want to answer this out here on the main part of the blog, because I want you all to know that, YES, I do miss American Thanksgiving! This was our fourth Thanksgiving in Canada. The first year, two months after we arrived, we celebrated Canadian and then American Thanksgiving in November. The second year we celebrated both, but we went to SC to visit my family for US Thanksgiving. Last year, we only celebrated Canadian. It seemed silly to celebrate both, since we plan to live here for the rest of our lives. I thought we should only celebrate Canadian. But on US Thanksgiving Day, I regretted that decision! I was SO homesick! I'm 42 years old, and it's hard to shake 39 years of tradition! ;) So yes, I do miss some things about my American heritage, Thanksgiving included. And yes, I do love living in Canada. Sometimes I think I'm a Amerinadian . . . or would that be Canadamerican? LOL I love both my home country and my adopted country, and I try to incorporate a sensible amount of the traditions of each into our holiday traditions.

9 comments:

  1. Are you planning on having a celebration this coming American Thanksgiving?

    Kevin and I really miss the traditions of Thanksgiving since we've moved to Michigan. Somehow Thanksgiving dinner with just the two of us isn't the same as celebrating with family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are planning to do something, even if it's just having a special dinner for just our family. Some years all of our American friends get together for a big dinner, but we don't know if anyone is doing that yet. That's really fun, because we are like family to each other up here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way, we miss the American Thanksgiving too. It felt wierd last year not doing anything, especially when the family started to call to wish us a "Happy Thanksgiving" that was too funny. They just don't quite get it...

    God Bless
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  4. just think of it this way... You have the best of both worlds...
    you can celebrate twice!!!
    Have a blessed week end

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, we still like to hear from family on Thanksgiving, even when we're not celebrating! It's a good excuse to call! ;)

    Mimi, we do have the best of both worlds. Sam will really have the best this year, as the college gave the Canadian students a Thanksgiving dinner on Monday night, and he will celebrate American Thanksgiving with my uncle and aunt, who live near San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I have talked a lot about all the things that would be different if we were in another country - in ministry. I think it is good that you are taking up the traditions in the new country that God has allowed you to be adopted into!! :) I think I would miss the American things too - as we have so many memories of the years gone by. I hope you had a wonderful day. I think it would be nice to have Thanksgiving a little bit earlier - it would give a little more time before Christmas. Seems Thanksgiving kinda gets pushed in there - but not able to have a holiday all it's own.

    You always could come visit me for Thanksgiving - I am sure we would have lots of things to talk about!! :)

    Have a great week.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan,
    I wanted to check on you. I haven't heard from you in a while and I wanted to make sure everything was ok. I see you have been very busy.
    Stop by when you can.Ihave the 2 blogs now. One for my homemaking and 1 for cooking.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss my Thanksgiving too! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Susan for taking a minute to answer that question.

    Speaking for myself, I know it would be VERY hard for me to celebrate Thanksgiving in Oct. It just wouldn't feel the same, I'm afraid.

    I have a high school friend that moved from the U.S. to Canada. I think she's adjusting OK, but she did mention to me last year that she really misses being able to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

    As soon as I heard her say that, I knew exactly what I would do for her. On Thanksgiving morning I got two VHS tapes, put them into separate VCR's, each tuned in to a different network. I taped the entire parade for her, commercials included. I knew she'd even love the those as we are from the same State-- so she got to see our local commercials, which gave her a little piece of home. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin