Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I Lived!

I rode with my son and I didn't get killed . . . not even injured! LOL You must understand that today was Andrew's fourth time behind the wheel, other than to turn the car around in the driveway to pack it for church on Sunday or some such tame task. Wouldn't you know that on the day that I take him driving, we would be met, on tiny, quiet residential streets that are barely wide enough for one car, by both an ambulance and a fire truck? After I loosened my death grip on the door handle, I had to laugh at the irony of it all! Andrew did well, although he and I were both a little nervous. I had him go out on the main roads a bit too, only making right turns, though, to practice in real lanes with lots of real cars around. We drove slowly and fortunately hit no cars or pedestrians. And I was very relieved when my cell phone rang letting me know that Beth was finished with her piano lesson and we could go back to pick her up!

I seem to have struck a chord with the artificial sweetener test! I have a long history with these things. My mother was diabetic, so she used Sweet 'N Low in our iced tea while I was growing up. After I married, I used real sugar in everything until I was diagnosed with diabetes eight years ago. I started drinking only diet sodas then, and using mostly Sweet 'N Low in my iced tea, but changing to Sweet One when we moved here. Artificially sweetened drinks were my easiest change when I got diabetes, and I felt that I was doing fine drinking them. But then I began to eat no-sugar-added yummies like ice cream and yogurt and pudding, and using sugar-free chocolate syrup to have chocolate milk every morning. I even began making desserts wtih Splenda. So I've been increasing my use of artificial sweeteners, and I just kept getting this sneaky feeling that it wasn't good for me to have so much of those chemicals going into my body, and decided to see if I could feel a difference without them. I can't give you an specific symptoms, other than aching in my fingers and knees, which could be symptoms of other things like being overweight or having arthritis. So it's truly an experiment! And I'm really almost afraid of finding out that I do better without them, because I love my iced tea, but I can't drink it sweetened with sugar, and I don't like it unsweetened. I also enjoy coffee - same thing - and I love the freedom of having some desserts like ice cream and pudding that don't raise my blood sugar too much. If I find that I can't use artificial sweeteners, I'll be giving up all that stuff. And that's not really a thrilling thought to me!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    I use splenda sometimes. Mostly I use honey to sweeten things.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you survived to tell about Andrew's driving experience! LOL

    Keep us posted about your experiment--I'm interested to know what you find out.

    Blessings! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about Xylitol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol
    It is a natural sugar that is safe for diabetics, but let me just say use with moderation it can cause bathroom issues ;) so a tsp in a cup is OK, but not a whole cup in a gallon tea.

    Glad you had a "fun" time with the driving test and that you are OK hehe
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, you sound like my mom.....only she's worse, b/c she won't even get into a car when I'm driving and I've been fully licensed for years! :) She's just nervous. I think my three brothers did it to her. At least, I like to think it wasn't me.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you lived to tell that you lived!!! :0) I sure don't look forward to that day.

    Haven't been here in a while so I guess I'll go browsing. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you survived driving. lol That was funny....I can SO relate to that story. :)

    I'm interested in how your experiement turns out. How long will you try this, do you think?

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin