Tuesday, September 25, 2007

To Answer My Own Questions

Well, I left you hanging on Saturday and didn't even answer my own questions! I'll do that now!

So what kind of cook are you? Meat-and-potatoes? Gourmet? Or somewhere in between?

I am basically a meat-and-potatoes cook. That's how I grew up and that's what Wes likes. And I'm a firm believer in cooking to please your husband. You can look at Wes and tell that! ;) I do like to try new recipes, though, and occasionally we'll run across one that's a little more sophisticated that we like.

What's your favorite cookbook/cooking magazine?

My favorite cookbook is probably my Better Homes and Gardens. I got one as a wedding gift when I married, wore that one out, then bought another one about ten years ago. I use it for anything basic, like how long to roast a turkey or, more often, what to substitute for an ingredient I was sure I had! My favorite cooking magazine is Taste of Home, hands down.

What is usually in your pantry, your staple ingredients that you can't do without?

I keep flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla for baking; basic canned goods that make a lot of different meals - canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, several kinds of beans (pintos, ranch-style, black, pork & beans, garbanzo); fruits such as pineapple, mandarin oranges, applesauce; oatmeal; nuts - almonds, pecans, walnuts; tea (for southern sweet tea!) and coffee. In the fridge I always have milk, orange juice, apple juice, and water, real butter and margarine, mayo, mustard, and ketchup, and eggs.

What is your favorite type of dish to cook: main dish, sides, breads, desserts?

I think my favorite type of thing to cook is desserts. People always enjoy dessert, and I love to make them homemade, which always brings raves, since so many people only get dessert from the grocery store bakery or a cake mix now.

Do you have a signature recipe, one that everyone knows you for?

Desserts! I make my own pie crusts, and my husband says that my apple pie is the best he's ever tasted. I'm also known at our sending church for making biscuits. I used to make sausage biscuits from scratch every Sunday morning for Wes to take over to the staff men who were at the church working. A lot of times they didn't get to go home for breakfast, so they appreciated having something warm to eat (that they didn't have to go through the drive-thru to get!). I've made them here once, but they're a little too high in fat to become popular here in this health-conscious city! ;)

What's your favorite appliance or gadget that you couldn't get along without?

Probably my microwave. I use it all the time without even thinking about it! I also love my stand mixer that the Lord graciously blessed me with. I could probably get by without it, but I love, love, love turning that thing on and letting it work its magic all by itself!

And finally, what is your husband's favorite recipe that you fix? You know, the one that says "I love you - this is especially for you!"

That would probably be the apple pie mentioned above. He loves it, and I don't fix it often enough. If I'm making a different kind of pie for something or someone else, though, I'll make him an apple pie, just because he loves it so much. I love the look on his face when he comes down the stairs to investigate and see if that's really an apple pie he smells! ;)

Thank you to those who have participated in my little questionnaire, both here in the comments or on your own blogs. It's been fun learning about your cooking!

3 comments:

  1. This looks like fun! I think I will try to do it one day this week.

    I don't know how well I'd do without my microwave, either. I know I used to cook without one...but I'd hate to be without one now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought many times about my mother, who died in 1981. She never had a microwave, never used a cell phone, never watched a video at home on a VCR, never listened to music on a CD, and never sent or received an e-mail (or saw a home computer) - but yet she managed to live! LOL We have so much now that we feel is necessary, and I don't think that's a bad thing - just interesting how things change over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally did this one today. I enjoyed reading about your cooking style, too. I love when other people bring home-made pies, but I confess I usually resort to frozen pie crusts. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin