Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day of School

Today was our first day of school for the 2007-2008 school year. It went very well! Andrew was up at 6:45 this morning. This is the boy who normally lies in the bed until the last possible minute. Beth was up shortly after that, and both were ready for breakfast at 8:00 sharp - beds made, devotions done, e-mail checked. Now if we can just keep this up in the dead of winter, when all the fun of the day is dripping away in the constant rain, and math and science are sheer drudgery - for the kids, too! ;)

I didn't have a schedule at all last year, but this year I made one for myself so that I can remember all the things I have to do and want to do. One of the problems I ran into last year was forgetting to check up on what the kids were doing each day; even with SOS, which has automated grading, you still need to check up and see what they're learning and/or having trouble with. And then the non-SOS subjects definitely need checking every day. So I made a slot in my schedule to check/grade schoolwork. I also made time to practice the piano, study for Sunday school and Thursday night kids' lessons, exercise, and (hopefully) some crafting. Oh yes, and the extra things I want to study too! Now . . . I didn't follow the thing exactly today, but I got a lot accomplished, including some piano practice, some housecleaning, some laundry, some studying for church classes, and exercise. I'm not getting a lot done this evening that I have on the schedule, because I found my son online and have been talking to him! ;) Now he's off, so I'll see what else I can poke around in this evening.

Samuel's first day of classes was today too. He says his favorite so far is choir - no surprise there! LOL He has a total of eight classes. He has been applying for jobs diligently (WCBC has an excellent job-placement program to help students find jobs), and a couple of them are pretty promising. He's eating well again, which lets me know he's settling in and not as stressed out as he was. I know he'll have a lot on him later in the year, will a full load of classes and a job, but at least then he'll be acclimated to his surroundings by then. He's not used to that heat anymore (we lived in North Texas for 14 years, where temps reached over 100 quite often in the summer), so that's taking some adjustment.

So our first day of school, here and in Lancaster, was a good one. I see diligence in my children this year, and I hope to foster that attitude as we progress through the year and see them excel. It does help when Mom has her act together, doesn't it? LOL

12 comments:

  1. Glad the first day, for everyone, went so well. Well begun is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to everyone on a successful first day. Stick to that schedule as much as possible. It will be a big help! :)
    Blessings,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy First Day of School!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great first day!
    We haven't been very 'scheduled' in the past either but I am working on a routine for this year, too.
    Happy Homeschooling! ;o)

    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful first school day! We us the MOTH system to create our schedule. I winged it for many years, but not I love my schedule! :o)

    I've been reading along with your posts, Susan. I was planning to comment yesterday, but I left to research Lancaster and didn't get back to comment. JR and I were very near there many years ago (over 21 to be exact - lol) when we traveled around while JR was stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. It is a very hot region during the summer, but cools off quickly at night. Oh, and dry, very . . very . . dry!

    Praying your have a great school year with Andrew and Beth, and for your Samuel, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good first day! We did too! My kids somehow turned enthusiastic about starting up :) today I did have to coax my little 5 year old into doing his work, but that's the way it is I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to see that you made it back home safely and everyone is settling into a good school routine.

    God Bless
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,
    I remember the first day of school.
    Have fun.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. First Day of School and new schedules...feels like a fresh start, doesn't it?! I am constantly trying to adhear to a workable schedule for myself...I like to be productive...but lately it's more in my head than my house!! :-)Guess I'd better get off the computer and get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you do have your act together! you get an A+

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great first day :) It's going to be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jodi, MOTH is what I'm using too. I first received it when my children were small, and I used it to a small degree, then we went on deputation to raise our support to come to Canada and all scheduling flew out the window. Now I feel that, even though my kids are mostly grown, I personally need the structure of a schedule . . . even though as a pastor's wife, some days aren't going to go as planned at all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin