Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday in Review - July 29, 2007

I'm going to go ahead and do a Sunday review this afternoon instead of waiting till tomorrow. We had our first Sunday service in our home today. The rec centre is closed indefinitely due to the strike, and Sam heard on the news today that the workers' union and the city are still far from an agreement. There was a bus workers' strike here about 5 years ago that lasted 4 months. Months . . . not day or weeks!

This is what we started with this morning: our dining room/sewing room/home office combo set up as usual.



And here is how it looked after we moved the table into the kitchen (praise the Lord for a huge kitchen!) and set up our rental chairs . . .



We had several families absent this morning, so our attendance was down quite a bit. Wes sent Sam over to the rec centre to intercept anyone who might not realize that we weren't able to meet in our rooms there. We set up our keyboard and sang our usual hymns, Beth took the one pre-schooler upstairs for a story and to play a little, and Wes preached as usual. It worked very well, and I think we'll do ok for the duration of the strike. My dinner didn't even start smelling good and making people hungry while the preaching was going on! LOL The custom here in Canada, when you enter a house, is to take off your shoes. So today we had church barefooted! There's a first time for everything, isn't there?!

We'll have our evening service like always, and then cancel our Thursday night Bible study for this week, because we'll all be at camp.

9 comments:

  1. I loved seeing pictures of how things worked out in your home! I will be praying that God uses this for good. If you think of it, you could pray for me. I am trying to endure a very difficult bout of fibromyalgia pain right now (the worst I've had).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks wonderful, Susan. It's so marvelous how God provides for our needs.

    Re: Barefoot Church
    First of all ... Moses did it! (*hee*hee) :oD

    Re: Barefoot Canadians
    When we lived in base housing in Maine, our next door neighbor was a married couple, an American Sargent and an English lady. She was *very* (very) particular about people removing their shoes when they entered her home. I wonder now if it was somewhat a cultural thing. Hmm - trivia to pursue! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Heather, bless your heart! I just prayed for extra grace and strength right now for you - and quick relief, too. Take care!

    Jodi, concerning barefoot Canadians - most people we know are fairly balanced about it. They will usually have an entryway where you can leave your shoes, but many times, if we're at someone's home just stopping by, they say not to worry about taking off our shoes. We don't insist on shoe removal in our home, but most people do it out of courtesy and habit. We have a shoe rack by the front door, and lots of people just leave their shoes on the porch. I must say that our carpets stay nicer for longer here. I can't go without shoes (my feet hurt too bad), but I have a pair that I only wear in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it is good you have a big kitchen!! Looks like it all worked well. Hope the strike doesn't last too long.

    I guess I would fit right in there in Canada -- my shoes come off first thing when I come home. :) I tell people I was raised barefoot and never got over it. :)

    I also wanted to let you know I am having a giveaway just for the weekend to celebrate my one year blogging anniversary. I'm drawing a name tomorrow morning. Would love for you to stop by if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Susan! how did you like "home" church? :) We always enjoyed it when the home church meetings were at our house. One Sunday we had as many as 51 people crowded around our living room and overflowing into the kitchen nook area. We LOVED it! Sadly, we're not doing home church right now but would like to meet with some like minded people in our home if the Lord brings them around. We are getting to know one family now who has expressed an interest. Pray that the Lord will show us exactly how to proceed. Thanks!

    I'm glad your Sunday went well, and I will continue to pray for the strike situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    I thought that was so funny when we had services in our house. Everyone took there shoes off when they came in the front door. During the church service the only ones with shoes were me and husband. LOL...

    God Bless
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Where two or more are gathered in My name (barefoot or not) I am there." *outrageously paraphrased*

    What a delightful location for Sunday morning worship. I pray that our Lord would sweetly bless future gatherings and draw each person closer to Him. <><

    Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We too take our shoes off here..a little south of you...think it is because of the rain...
    Your home church looks wonderful and I bet it just felt cozy...
    I wonder IF the day will come when we will have to meet in homes...
    Deby

    ReplyDelete
  9. That set-up looks real nice!! God will make a way, won't He??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin