Thursday, July 19, 2007

The News Is On

I'm listening to the news now as I round up my computer time and prepare for bed. The strike is looking inevitable. The workers went on a "reduced work" schedule today, which means they are giving only the minimal requirements - taking all breaks, only working exactly the hours they are supposed to. The city has told them there is nothing to negotiate, because their demanded salaries are not possible to provide. So the official strike is set to start Monday morning. As it looks right now, we should have our building this Sunday, but after that, we have no idea. We're preparing to use our house as a church building for a bit. We've been praying about finding a storefront or other building to rent, but prices here are beyond what we can afford. We have to stick with the rec centre for right now.

In family news from today (which isn't on the airwaves, by the way!), Wes and Andrew had doctor appointments this afternoon. Andrew went back for a followup on the lymph nodes that were swollen. The doctor couldn't even feel one today. However, Andrew's jaw has been popping when he eats, chews gum, etc. so the doctor gave us a referral to an ear-nose-throat doctor to see if that can be remedied. He said Andrew is young enough that if this continues, it will wear out his jaw muscles and cause problems later in life.

Wes has had a sore shoulder for about a month, sort of like the pain when you sleep on your shoulder wrong, or wake up with a crick in your neck. Nothing was helping it, so he finally went to the doctor. He has tendonitis or bursitis. The doctor gave him some exercises to do to stretch/strengthen his shoulder and instructions to take more Advil for the pain. I felt kind of bad that he couldn't do anything more than that; Wes has been in pain every day for weeks! The doctor also trotted down a rabbit trail and found too many extra pounds hanging around and instructed Wes to leave them by the trail! ;) So now we both have to watch what we eat. I know from experience that Wes will be much more successful than I've been at losing weight. Seems like guys are like that, doesn't it? And they don't care about it as much as we do! LOL

I'll write more later. It's getting late, and I need to hop in bed. Tomorrow is the day for my quarterly bloodwork; then I can go to the doctor next week to get the ball rolling on seeing a diabetes educator!

8 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord it looks as if you will have your meeting place for this Sunday, at least! We will continue to pray.

    And you know what I was also thinking? About God's perfect timing... that now you do actually have a house you can use for services if you should need to do so. What a great God we serve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,
    PTL. God is wonderful.
    Good luck at the doctors.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for smooth sailing for your services and renewed diligence in your healthy eating plan. :)
    Blessings,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like life is full at your end! I wanted to let you know I have returned to blogville with a new name and address. You can now visit me at: www.awateredgarden.blogspot.com. I will be back for a visit and to catch up on reading postings made during my recent sabbatical. Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope all feel better. my daughter had the same jaw problem. it ended up being caused by a rapid growth spurt. Her jaw had to catch up. she had to wear protective mouth gear for about a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    God always provides. Still praying for your church situation.

    Hope the ENT can do something for Andrew's jaw.

    I had bursitis in my right shoulder a while back and the ortho gave me a cortisone shot in my shoulder. It took a while for the shoulder to quit hurting, but it finally did. The Dr. told me not to raise my arms up over my head if I could help it. I can't help it when I'm sleeping and wake up with that arm over my head! lol!
    Maybe the Dr. will give Wes a shot if it doesn't get better soon.

    I'm glad you liked the music! If I'm remembering correctly, you're from around the Carolinas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to hear you will be able to hold your services this Sunday in the same place. I am praying for a quick resolution to the strike!

    When I read about Andrew and his jaw, I could relate! About the first of the year I had the same thing! Every time I'd chew, my jaw would pop. It never was painful, just very irritating! It lasted about a month and then stopped! I have no idea why it was doing that.

    Then about Wes--I could relate to that too! I've been having the same shoulder pain for months--feeling like you slept on it wrong. I mentioned it to my doctor a few weeks ago and she said the same thing as Wes' doctor--tendonitis or bursitis. She said I needed to go to the orthopedic, but honestly I just haven't had the time with all the other health issues and I really hate the thought of going to *another* doctor.

    Sorry this is so long! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. T - that is what we've thought too - now we have a house. We just have to be careful to let our basement tenant know that we'll be doing it at home, but he is usually out of the house all weekend - single guy.

    Elizabeth - God sure is good to us!

    Mrs. C - thank you for praying for our services. We still have our room tomorrow!

    Diane - I'll be checking out your new blog - thanks for dropping by!

    JM - I'm wondering if Andrew is going to have to wear some sort of headgear. Another friend e-mailed me that she had the same thing as a child, and she had to wear a mouth guard at night to keep from grinding her teeth.

    Sharon - I sleep with my arms above my head too! A few months ago, I had a pain in my shoulder that made me have to be careful how I slept, but as soon as it went away, up went my arms again. Wes sleeps on the side that hurts, so he may have to switch to the other side. I did love the music you had at your blog, and yes, I am from SC. Wes is from NC.

    Mishel - bless your heart! It just never seems to end for you, does it?! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin