Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Hug From the Lord

I just have to tell you about this before I leave for camp! Several weeks ago, I came across Jewels' blog, Eyes of Wonder. I was enchanted with her journal style and have been wanting to try it for myself. She said she uses a blank, hardbound journal from the stationery section of Wal Mart. Well, the WM here didn't have anything like that for a price I was willing to pay, so I was almost to the point of getting a paperback sketch book from the dollar store and covering it with some decorative papers that I use in cardmaking. A fairly good compromise, I felt, but I just kept holding back on it. I figured I'd look when we take our vacation in August.

Yesterday, I was rummaging through my cardmaking stuff for some old Christmas cards to use in a decorating theme at camp this week. I was moving a bag of "stuff" when something caught my eye: some corrugated paper. A vague memory stirred as I reached for it, and when I pulled it out, I remembered getting a bunch of cardmaking odds and ends through Freecycle months and months ago. This particular bag I had stuffed into a drawer to take out later and organize. Inside this bag was a book, and not just any book. It's made of kraft paper, about 1/2 inch thick and bound with some twine. It even has a ribbon on front.


Y'all, it's perfect for a journal like the ones Jewels has shown us! My heart was warmed as I realized that the Lord had known all along that that journal was tucked away in that drawer; all I had to do was find it. I had never felt easy about buying anything, even that $1.00 sketch pad at the dollar store . . . because God knew that book was here waiting for me!


I gratefully thanked Him for my book, and now it's on my desk waiting for me to get home from camp and begin my own little picture journal of my days. Finding this journal is precious to me because it reminds me that God is my Heavenly Father, who cares about even my tiny little desire to make a journal - something that isn't important in the whole scheme of things - but it was important to me. He gave me a hug yesterday, and I felt like He loved me like I was His only child! Are you looking out for a hug from your Father today?

8 comments:

  1. How special, Susan! Something happened like that to me recently, too, and I just knew it was a "hug from the Lord." For the life of me I can't remember what it was now...just goes to show that it would help to have a daily journal like you plan to write down these remembrances to keep as a record of God's faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special, Susan! It's so important to remember to thank God for the "little" things, too. :)

    I hope you have a wonderful week at camp. Camp food can play havoc with your blood sugar, so take care!

    Blessings,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how hard it is to find some of those art books at a good price! Your find was not only good but FREE. :)

    Christopher was cleaning his room out yesterday (a miracle in itself) when he found a CD that has a lot of his favorite Christian songs in it. I guess he had taken out one of the CDs and the case with the other one was lost in the dark hole that is his closet. :)

    He felt like he had a present! Do you think this will make him clean his room more often?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Susan, don't you just love when that happens. God is faithful!

    Enjoy camp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan,
    It is so wonderful how God cares about the little things in our lives. He loves us so much.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing that, what a blessing!!

    God Bless
    Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  7. How special!

    I saw the post you're talking about and am thinking about giving journaling a try too. I especially liked her idea of picture journaling--it seems like such a creative outlet. (o:

    Have a wonderful week at camp!

    Blessings,
    ~Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan,

    This post was a "hug from the Lord" for me today! I had not checked in here for days, knowing you were at camp and figuring the "Sunday in Review" post for July 29 would have been your last post before leaving.

    I love this journal idea and have been so blessed by mine already. I have posted a picture on my blog if you care to take a glance. I am so thrilled to see how the Lord provided this for you -- above what we could ask or think!

    Hope you had a wonderful, life-changing week at camp... looking forward to hearing all about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin