Saturday, July 14, 2007

Blogger Reflection Award

Award


Over the past couple of weeks, I have been seeing the Blogger Reflection Award at some of the blogs I read. I have really enjoyed some of the blogs that have been mentioned. There are so many good, worthy blogs out there! Earlier this week, I was pleasantly surprised when Barbara H. of Stray Thoughts left a message in my comment section that she had listed my blog as one of those blogs that she enjoys! She said on her blog, "We’re in the same age range and we both have teen-agers and very similar belief systems and standards, so I feel right at home at her blog. Her sweet spirit shines through her writings about her home and family and church." What encouraging, kind words, Barbara! I deeply appreciate them, and I am honored that you thought of my blog to receive this kind of award. I don't remember how I came across her blog, but I liked what I saw well enough to bookmark it and begin reading it regularly. Then I realized that, like she said, we have very similar beliefs and values, and I liked what she had to say. I enjoy her thoughtful, calm writing, always an encouragement to this blogger!

Rules of participating:
1. Copy this post.
2. Reflect on five bloggers and write at least a paragraph about each one.
3. Make sure you link this post so others can read it and the rules.
4. Go leave your chosen bloggers a comment and let them know they've been given the award.
5. Put the award icon on your site.

I am participating in this award because I like the idea of lifting each other up and being an encouragement, and sharing with you those who sharpens me as "iron sharpeneth iron." I'm not doing it as a popularity contest or to show the world who my five best friends are. These ladies have "provoked me unto good works." I know that many ladies have chosen not to do these types of awards, in order to keep from hurting anyone's feelings. If you are one of those ladies, I have no problem with your choosing not to participate. However, I would hope that most of us would be spiritually mature enough to handle it when someone else is "honored" and we are not. I'd like to think that we can rejoice together and enjoy one another's compliments without worrying about who nominated whom for a blog award! To be brutally honest, to be offended over something like this is silly, petty, and childish, unworthy of a lady or a child of God. This isn't earth-shattering stuff here; it's just ladies giving a nod to someone who has been a blessing - nothing more, nothing less. So, with that in mind, here are the five bloggers I've chosen for the Blogger Reflection Award:

Kerry at An Help Meet For Him. This young lady has been a tremendous help in bringing back to my attention all the things I've ever learned about being a godly wife. She has done several series of entries on topics ranging from The Secret to Forever-Love to Get Out of That Rut!, as well as little snippets on various character traits of a godly wife. Kerry gives me much to think about, pray about, and change in my life - even though I've been married 22 years!

Christina at HS Kubes' Haven at Home. Christina is a homeschooling military wife whose husband is deployed to Iraq. Her blog entries are always positive and full of what she has learned and is learning about homeschooling and raising a family. I deeply admire her devotion to her husband and children, and she frequently posts entries that provoke me to think about the kind of mother I am, and how to do better, always thoroughly based upon Scripture. One thing I especially enjoyed was her Year End Review, looking back and summing up the school year and how to make the next one better. Christina and I also share much of the same convictions, beliefs, and standards. Her wisdom has been a blessing to me!

Jewels at Eyes of Wonder. For one thing, I relax just listening to the music on her blog! Jewels has a rare, gentle style that soothes me. I always look forward to reading her blog each evening. She and her husband have ten children, one grandchild, and one on the way, and their lives are always busy with just the simple tasks of daily living. I love how she teaches her children through everyday living. She has also inspired me through her daily journaling technique; it's beautiful and relaxing. I have it in my mind to begin this type of journal - but I haven't gotten started on it yet. I'm probably making it too complicated!

Mrs. T at Across My Kitchen Table. I can't tell you what a blessing she has been to me by posting her "countdowns" every now and then! She does them for things that she needs to get accomplished in a certain amount of time, and she has been such an inspiration to me to do a little something every day toward a goal, instead of trying to do the whole job at once. She's also a fellow "FlyBaby" and understands those of us who are SHEs (Sidetracked Home Executives). Mrs. T is also a Taste of Home lover, and she posts lots of recipes that are easy and delicious - no fancy ingredients that you can't find at a regular grocery store. She's like a good friend, with whom I have much in common (including our Savior), and I love to sit "across the kitchen table" each day!

Cheryl at Copper's Wife. She and her husband have four children and four grandchildren. Cheryl shares her days in such a way that I feel like I'm stopping by for a visit each evening, sitting on the porch with a glass of iced tea. She has helped me so much by telling about her homekeeping schedule, how she saves money on utilities, how she frugally keeps the house cool in the summer, how she homeschools her boys and is a grandma to homeschoolers . . . she has a wealth of practical day-to-day living advice. I especially loved her series on making the most of your less-than-perfect kitchen and on hospitality. She's also an expert at using what she has, instead of going out and buying every little thing brand new. Just a goldmine! She has no idea what a blessing she has been to me in the few months I've been visiting her blog. Sometimes I go to her archives just to find something to sharpen me!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for those kind words, Susan. :-)

    I think all of these but Christina's are new to me, except somehow I have seen Jewel's once or twice. Thanks for pointing me to some more great blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    Thank you so much for the sweet, encouraging words and for this special award. Of the other blogs you mentioned, I have only visited Cheryl's before -- and I need to get over there more often! I want to check out the others you mentioned, too.

    Thanks again!

    Have a blessed Lord's Day!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and Susan, I want to say thank you too for including the link to Jewels' post about the simple daily journaling! What a lovely, lovely idea! I just love cutting and pasting -- something about it is just balm to my soul -- and I also love beautiful things like those she embellishes her pages with. I tend to think of journaling as something I have to make the time for, but this looks doable for me! A hard-cover sketchbook is now on my shopping list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Susan, thank you so much for your kind words. They were such a blessing to me!

    I will enjoy checking out the others you listed, too. ;o)

    ~ Christina

    "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." ~ Proverbs 16:24

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I am enjoying reading all these very worthy blogs. Thanks for posting~

    Jess~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin