Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunday in Review - June 10, 2007

We had a good day yesterday. Not as large a crowd as last week, but only a few less. Wes and I are still so thankful that the Lord blesses us with people every Sunday! By the time everyone got in, we had 24 people there, including one first-time visitor. We rejoice in each person who comes!

Wes said he didn't feel quite "in focus" yesterday morning. He said it seemed like everyone, including himself, was tired. I admit I felt a little less perky yesterday morning too. Maybe it was just the weather? Anyway, he expressed something that is quite common among pastors, I think (my dad was a pastor and many of our friends are pastors, so I hear this a lot). He said he felt like his sermon was a dud. But you know what? I've also found that the ones they think are duds are the ones that they find out later were the most help to someone! I was in Sunday school during his sermon, but I seriously doubt his sermon was a dud. And yes, I told him so. Several times.

Now, last night's sermon I know was not a dud, 'cause I was in there! Oh, it was soo good!!! We're continuing in I Peter, this week in chapter 1, verses 5-7. These verses speak of the assurance of salvation, the acceptance of suffering, and the appearing of the Savior. Each point could have been an entire sermon in itself! There's so much in it that I can't figure out just one thing to write about, so I'll just give you a few bits . . .

- Three specifics of salvation - v. 5 - past: saved from the penalty of sin, immediately; present: being saved from the power of sin, ongoing process of learning to die to sin daily; and future: saved from the presence of sin, in Heaven - no more sin.

- Suffering - v. 6 - it's only for a season, temporary; God has a purpose for anything that happens, not "just because"; manifold temptations, sometimes we will be in heaviness, grief, sorrow; but God is making us more like Jesus.

- Jesus' return - v. 7 - How real is it to me? Do I really believe it could be today? We want three things - praise - commendation - "Well done . . . "; honour - esteem - lifted up in Heaven by Christ as a faithful servant; and glory - rewards - crowns to cast at Jesus' feet. These things should provoke us to live a more holy life.

See??? Really, really good!

I hope you all had a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. You had a "Good" Sunday. During the sermon at my church pastor was talking about seeing God face to face. What I said out loud was "Give me 10 years". A new widow turned and smiled at me. At 73 I'm not sure about the 10 years but I'm sure I will see Him face to face.
    Remember one lost sheep at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to "hear" from you again! You have been in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great day in the Lord! Great points from 1 Peter ~ I especially liked the 3 points on the Assurance of Salvation - makes me want to shout AMEN! :o)

    And I love Joyce's comment! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, what blessed assurance you have! And I hope you have many more than 10 years!

    Julie, thank you so much for thinking of us and praying for us! I sure love your posts, especially those about Conner! ;)

    Jodi, I love all things to do with assurance of salvation. I doubted mine for so long that I just luxuriate in assurance now! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin