Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Shaken Up

I had a little incident happen yesterday afteroon that shook me up a bit. Of course, it shook up the other person too! I was on my way to the grocery store and stopped by the library to pick up some books on hold for me. As I was leaving the library, I was going to turn right onto the main road from the parking lot. I pulled up to the road, looked left, but didn't look right. When I let my foot off the brake, suddenly there was a teenaged boy smack dab in front of my car! I hadn't seen him, and he hadn't stopped to make sure I saw him before he stepped out in front of me. The driveway is slightly sloped, so just letting my foot off the brake gave the car enough momentum to move forward (I hadn't even turned the wheel to the right yet) . . . just enough to catch the boy off guard and make him lose his balance. I was horrified! He fell to the ground, but jumped right back up, of course glaring at me the whole time (and I don't blame him). He was walking away before I could even get my window down, but I called to him, apologizing and asking if he was ok. He said he was . . . so I apologized again . . . and asked one more time if he was ok. He stopped just long enough to look at my license tag, then he was still walking and yelling back that he was fine. By this time I was shaking and about to cry. It had only been a few seconds, but it felt like slow motion!

He wasn't showing any signs of being hurt, so I started down to the grocery store, which was going to take 5-10 minutes, but by the time I got to the exit for the grocery store, I had decided that I needed to at least report what had happened. So I drove back to the shopping center where the library is and went into the RCMP office (the police) and told the man in there what had happened. He instructed me to call the non-emergency hotline when I got home, which I did, and they pointed me to the insurance company. Since no officer had been called to the scene, the RCMP was not involved, and since the car actually touched the boy, our insurance had to be notified. I have an appointment with them tomorrow morning to record the details and have them check out my car. There is no damage to the car, of course, but I want the whole thing on record so that if the boy decides to file a report and claim an injury, I've already done my part and everything is above board.

I know I'll never forget the initial horror I felt when I looked into that boy's eyes when we both realized that I was going to hit him. I'm so glad that he wasn't hurt and that no other cars were coming when he fell into the roadway in front of my car. I know I'll be making extra sure from now on that there are no pedestrians on my right when I turn. Walking is a way of life up here, and there are always pedestrians out, but I've never had one that just stepped out without even bothering to make sure I saw them. I see lots of teens just walk right out in front of cars, assuming the driver sees them and will stop. Sometimes we don't see them. Yes, it is the driver's fault for not paying close enough attention . . . but when I'm walking, I make sure any drivers I walk in front of know that I'm there. I make eye contact with them and give a little wave to say thanks when they stop for me to cross. I feel that I have a responsibility for my own safety. I hope this boy will do the same from now on.

18 comments:

  1. Bless your heart, Susan! I would be really shaken up, too. Rejoicing with you that the young man was not injured. It's amazing what can happen in a split second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Susan))) I'm glad no one was hurt!

    I did the exact same thing as you about eight years ago. Only it was a drunk man, and he didn't fall down. It is so very wicked of me, but any time I think of the incident, I laugh. Like I said, very wicked. It's just the image of his face and hands right in my face on the windshield...now if something bad had happened, of course, there would be nothing laughable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary Susan! Glad no one was hurt.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday it was nice to see you!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Susan -- how frightening!! I'm glad everyone was ok. I think you were wise to take the initiative to report it. Like you, I never assume a driver sees me when I am walking -- I hope this boy will be more cautious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Susan, how frightening! I am so thankful that the boy was not hurt and that you were given the wisdom to make the calls and reports. God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about this Susan....and too have noticed and have probably DONE myslef..just walk out of a store..without looking ...assuming someone will see me....I see people doing it everyday....I Praise the Lord...the young man was not visibly hurt..and praying that ALL will work out and your mind can be at ease..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, ((Susan)), that must have been heart stopping. I'm so glad no one was hurt!! Praying it all just fades away as no big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I know how you feel. I was driving down a street in my hometown when I was a teenager and I hit a man who I think was drunk and had fallen in the street just in front of me. He hit my hood and fell to the groud beside my car. He said he was fine and it sure did scare me to death. Nothing was reported and he said he was fine. I'm sure he just didn't want to get in trouble with the police for being drunk and it being his fault. But I still felt horrible about the incident. I hope nothing like that ever happens to me again. As I'm sure you hope the same for you. I'm glad all is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan ~ oh, I feel so badly for you! I would be afraid the guy would sue, so great idea to have it all in writing. Glad you were both okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, well I'm glad your okay and him too. I'm like you I would have bawled too. Glad everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, Poor ((((SUSAN)))). I'm so glad it wasn't worse than what it was. You did the right thing by reporting the incident.

    I've always told my kids to be extra careful when walking, riding bikes, etc. Sometimes drivers are looking, but they're looking for cars or vehicles bigger than their own. LOL

    I'm just glad the boy was OK. I know you are too.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, how God watches over us! It happens so fast in a car. I am thankful that the boy seemed to be okey. You did the right thing by reporting it.
    I think I would still be trembling. I came so close to hitting someone walking along the road one night coming home from work around 12:30am. so I know how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad you were both okay!!
    You must have really done a good job on that ankle! It's been quite awhile since you hurt it.. I think that was probably around the last time I visited... by the way ... how's the house coming? Do you have any pics of the finished product... or are you finished yet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Susan! I'm so glad the boy wasn't hurt! You did the right thing by reporting it. Hopefully, it will all just quietly go away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad no one was hurt. It is kind of scary to be in an auto accident.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been reading your's for sometime now. I'm curious, how did you find my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Susan, I would have been so shook up too!

    I'm glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW thank God there was no injury! This same thing happened to my son but he was in 1st grade and the lady hit him while she was driving through a crosswalk next to his school......she didn't see him crossing the street. She yelled at him & then drove off, but he was little and said yeah he was ok even though he was limping and he went to the office & called dh from work. Ended up filing a police report & they found the driver.
    Glad you are ok and the boy. Hope he pays better attention too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would have been scared to death!! Glad the boy wasn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin