Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Menu Questions

A couple of ladies had questions about things on my menu, so I thought I'd answer those out here on the main page instead of making them go back to the comments to see if I'd answered.

Mrs. T said . . . "Tell me about the Cheeseburger Pizza -- do you have a specific recipe for this? Or just top the pizza with specific items?"

For my cheeseburger pizza, I brown a pound of ground beef and fry a few slices of bacon (we use turkey bacon). I use regular pizza sauce and top it with both mozzarella and cheddar cheese and the hamburger and bacon. And that's it! No special recipe!

And did you all know that Mrs. T has a Christmas recipe/tradition/decorating blog? She has so many good ideas! Visit Mrs. T's Christmas Kitchen!

Julieann said . . . "I bet my husband would love meatballs with brown gravy--can you post a recipe? (if you have time)"

Meatballs and brown gravy is definitely a husband-pleaser! ;) I think I could put brown gravy on just about anything and Wes would love it. I don't really have a recipe though, so I'll just tell you what I do.

I use about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of ground beef. Add some onion powder, salt, pepper, an egg, and some breadcrumbs (probably about a cup) to the meat and mix it up. Make your meatballs about 1 inch each, place them on a baking sheet covered with foil, and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I make the gravy by melting 1/2 cup of butter (this is why it's a husband-pleaser - it's chock full of fat!), add 1/2 cup of flour and cook this for a couple of minutes, stirring often to keep it from burning. I make "beef broth" using 4 cups of boiling water and 4 teaspoons of beef bouillon powder or granules (the brand I like best is OXO powder, which I've only found here in Canada, but Wyler's granules do the same thing). After I've browned the flour in the butter, I add the beef broth, using a whisk to keep lumps from forming. Let it boil for a minute or so, to thicken the gravy, then add the meatballs. That's it! It's really easy to make ahead and keep warm in the crockpot or heat it up when you're ready to eat. I usually serve it over rice, but we also like it with mashed potatoes or egg noodles. And, of course, since there's gravy, there also has to be homemade biscuits! ;) That's why I make so much gravy with it. This feeds my family of 2 adults and 3 teens, with enough left over for Sam to take to work for lunch, and he's my biggest eater.

This isn't a menu question, but Rita said . . . "the closest we get to you is Union Vally baptist Church" Rita, I've looked online and can't find it. I'm assuming it's in Washington, but could you let me know what city? We might find a way to meet up with you if it's close enough! And wouldn't I love that?!!!

Another thought on the meatballs and gravy: I've made this to take to potlucks and to take to families with a new baby or sick mom. Everyone loves it. I think it's because it's a simple, hearty dish, and people really enjoy it as a comfort food.

10 comments:

  1. My dear hubby would enjoy the meatballs and gravy also. Of course, mashed potatoes will be a must. LOL The boy LOVES mashed taters. :)

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just linked over from happymama's and was already salivating over her beans and cornbread and now I find THIS!! Oooh am I hungry now! I can just taste the meatballs in brown gravy!

    I so hope you and my sis get to see each other. That would be awesome!Except I would be jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You so much for posting the recipe----I am going to make it now for dinner:) YAY--I was just going to start dinner and peeked at your blog and you posted the recipe--I will take pictures and show you how it turns out!! Thank you Susan:)

    Julieann:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi, I really think my guys like the potatoes best, but I give them some variety anyway! ;)

    Pam, just remember that you will get to see Rita a bunch - no need for jealousy here. I know . . . you could come with her, then we could all get together!

    Julieann, I can't wait to see how the meatballs turn out for you and how your dh likes them. I've been seeing what you cook every day, and believe me, I am really tickled that you chose to fix something that I do. You always make such awesome meals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy ~ those meatballs sound delish! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan,

    Thanks for the explanation for the cheeseburger pizza... I was wondering about maybe adding some chopped dill pickles on it... we love dill pickles on cheeseburgers.

    OH... that meatball/brown gravy recipe sounds soooo good. But I know I could never make it for just us. (Too much fat.) Maybe for company.

    And thanks for the mention of my Christmas blog... I've been having so much fun with that. Happy to hear that you are enjoying it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. T, I would think you could add whatever you wanted to to your cheeseburger pizza. I used to get a slice of taco pizza at CiCi's, and it had fresh lettuce and tomato on it! So I imagine you could even put some onions, lettuce, tomato, pickles - just fix it right up!

    That brown gravy does have a lot of fat. I wonder if there's some way to make it with less fat? I haven't tried lowering the fat, because we don't eat it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan, thank you for your kind words:)

    I made your dish--and it was a big hit--I am soooo happy--it definately is something I will be making a lot. My daughter isn't a picky eater, but she doesn't like gravy--BUT, she loved this gravy, she asked for seconds. I posted a picture on my blog:)

    Julieann:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan,

    Just wanted to say I did make the cheeseburger pizza last night! I did use a few chopped dill pickle slices in addition to the toppings you use... Very yummy! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOHOOO!!! These sound DELICOUS!!!

    Mr. U walked in as I was reading this and asked him "Would you eat meatballs with brpwn gravy over mashed potatoes with biscuits to go with it?" He smiled and said "Do you even have to ASK me that?" HAHA!!

    YUM!! I WILL make this!!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin