Friday, June 01, 2007

Happy June!

Can you believe it's June already? This year is flying right on by us, isn't it! I guess the past month has gone so fast because of all the activity we've had. We have a busy summer coming up too, so I guess I might as well fasten my seat belt and settle in for the ride.

Our weather this week has been outstanding - clear, blue skies and temps in the upper 70's to low 80's. What I love most is that this is considered summer weather! LOL In Texas, this would be spring weather, accompanied by thunderstorms, hail, and tornadoes! We're learning how to cool this house down. It's so much more airy than the townhouse, where we only had windows on the east and west sides of the house, and the western facing ones included two sets of sliding doors, side by side. You talk about hot in the summer! Here we have windows all around, and with the breeze, we haven't been excessively hot yet. We don't have AC; it's not needed often enough to warrant the expense of installing it. Life in Texas never included open windows, and here that's all the cooling we have. I must say that I love, love, love open windows and cool breezes - so fresh. We have a tiny deck for a back porch on the north side of the house, and I'm going to try to fix a little spot out there to sit. We also have a balcony on the front of the house that is wonderful in the late afternoon.

Did anyone watch the Scripps National Spelling Bee last night? We have church on Thursday nights, but we were able to catch the last hour of it, and it was so much fun! I was fascinated by the boy who won, Evan O'Dorney. I had a suspicion he was homeschooled, which was confirmed after the show, and I was so impressed with his musical and mathematical knowledge! He even said he doesn't like spelling all that much! LOL I think what I found most interesting was that he's written a concerto and even devised his own musical notation system. If I just had an ounce of that talent! LOL And the second-place winner was a young Canadian! We were really pulling for him there at the end, and I was disappointed when he was out. My ego was pretty much deflated watching this bee. I think I knew maybe ONE word out of all those. One time I didn't even have a clue where to start - amazing words.

Well, enough rambling for me. Sam is at a wedding this evening, Andrew and Beth have gym night, so Wes and I are having a date. We don't know what we're going to do, but we're going to do it! LOL See you later!

3 comments:

  1. YES! We watched quite a bit of it but I missed the last little bit. My hubby told me Evan said he really didn't like spelling that much! Haven't the past few year's winners been homeschooled?? HMMM!

    Oh and KUDOS on being a champ yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susan, I know exactly what you mean about loving the windows open. I did a post this week because our A/C went out. I'll grant you it did get really hot by afternoon (we're in TN), but oh, how I loved the freshness of the house. It was a lot of fun reading the comments I got.

    When we lived in Maine we did not have A/C either (in any of the 3 places we lived), neither did the majority of folks. Those that did just had window units. Of course, there we had those wonderfully cool ~ even chilly ~ nights to cool the house back down. But in truth, when I grew up in Florida until about the time I was a teenager most of the homes just had one or two window units. Many of the older homes still do. It's funny how such a relatively new invention (central heat and air) has become so common place in America. How good is that? It is comfortable; but it's also expensive to run (electric bills), costly to repair and astronomical to replace!

    Well, I guess your comment section is getting all the thoughts that our a/c free weekend and all my commenters stirred up in me ~ lol! ;o)

    I enjoyed reading your enthusiastic posts on the spelling bee. Quite honestly while I was a good speller (because I looked words up!), I was never a natural speller. Seeing people just reel off those impossible words astounds me! :o)

    Hope you and Wes had a wonderful date night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how they try not to mention the Home schooling thing when so many home schoolers have won lately.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin