Monday, May 28, 2007

Sunday in Review - May 27, 2007

We had a great day at church yesterday! Our attendance has been staying up for the past couple of months, and we've been having visitors in almost every Sunday morning service. Yesterday was no exception! We have a lady visiting right now who is from Hong Kong. She is new to Vancouver, having just moved here to work. We have several young women in our church from Asia who are here working as nannies, and she is friends with a couple of them. She has a beautiful smile, and I have enjoyed meeting her and talking with her the past couple of weeks. We also had a young family visit us for the first time yesterday. They are Ukrainian and have lived in Vancouver for 2 years. They had two small children, who went in Sunday school with us (which thrilled me!). We began a series of lessons on Elijah yesterday, which should prove exciting. Elijah was not known for his quiet, gentle ways! ;)

Wes preached last night the first sermon in a series on the book of I Peter. Actually, it was the second, but I never count the introduction sermon as the first one! LOL Last night's sermon was very encouraging, even when you're not in the midst of a trial, because I was reminded that, no matter what happens in our lives, God already knows it, and He knows the outcome, PLUS the end result is Heaven. Although the Lord has blessed me with a fairly easy life thus far, I have experienced enough trials to know some heartache, and to realize once again that God knows all is a sweet promise to me. Peter called the recipients of his letter strangers - resident foreigners. Living in a country that is not my birth country, I understand that concept just a bit better now. That's how we as Christians are to view our life on earth - as resident foreigners. This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through! The trials are only temporary; this isn't our permanent home! All this in just the first two verses of the book. I've read through the entire book once recently, and my plan is to read it several times through each week, to get its message firmly in my mind. This is something my MIL mentioned doing while she was here, and I thought it sounded good for those short New Testament epistles, to really get them in my heart. I am so looking forward to Sunday nights as the Lord speaks to my heart through the messages!

I will leave you with some pictures from last Sunday. We had our normal service in the rec centre on Sunday morning, and then a very informal service in our home on Sunday night, with grilled burgers and brats. After the food and devotion, the teenagers played some games and goofed off a bit while the adults talked a bit. My FIL was in fine form as he discussed Jamaica to his heart's content! LOL I think we all had a great time.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like wonderful things are happening at your church--Praise the Lord!! Our pastor is preaching out of 1 Peter on Sunday mornings, so I am reading ahead and studying too. It was neat to read your take on it--and you are right, it is good to know when we are facing trials, that the Lord sees and knows it all. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so encouraging that hear that your attendance has been up.

    I'm sure you are enjoying being able to have folks over to fellowship at your new place.

    I hope your in-laws are able to travel down our way while they are on furlough. It would be so nice to meet them.

    Blessings,
    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mishel, we've just started the series on I Peter, so I've just begun reading it in-depth. Wes explained it so much better in his sermon last night!

    Mrs. C, we have enjoyed the freedom to have folks over and not have to worry so much about space or noise. I mentioned you to my MIL, and I'm not sure if they will be getting down your way, but they seemed to recognize what church I was talking about - which I think I had correct! LOL Let me know if you get to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a great time visiting with your in-laws. What a treat to have them and your church family in your new home! :o)

    I'm so glad you shared Wes' Sunday night topic. I've been in the Old Testament for devotions for a while now; your post gave me the itch to read 1 Peter again. I had a lovely, *refreshing!* time reading it through this morning after I finished my study in Judges. Thank you! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin