Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Story

Ok. I'm finally going to tell you The Story I've been saving up all week! It is most amazing to me, because it is full of "coincidence," but I realize it may not be so amazing to you, because you didn't live it. Just fun, and maybe a little Wow Isn't That Neat?!!

Last weekend, as we were looking around at stuff to get rid of for our move, Wes mentioned to me that I could put a particular set of books on Craigslist in the Free section. It's a large set that costs a lot of money brand new. We considered selling it, but the set was originally given to us, so we decided to give it away. Anyway (how do I get so sidetracked?), I listed it, and began getting responses immediately. I think I had about five responses within the first hour.

I offered the books to the first person to contact me, and waited. No word, for over 24 hours. In the meantime, though, I had contacted the increasing number of respondents with the news that I had offered the books to one person, and if he/she did not respond, I would begin going down my list person by person until someone came and got the books.

Sometime Sunday I received an e-mail from one of the people wanting the books, asking, if I didn't mind saying, if I were the same Susan H. that goes to Lions Gate Baptist Church. Hmmm! I did not recognize this person's name (and immediately panicked!), so I assumed she must go to another church in the area and I had met her somewhere along the way or that she had visited our church and I didn't remember her name. So I wrote back and asked how I knew her, please?

Here's where the really amazing part comes in. This lady said that she had received one of the John/Romans booklets that we had sent out over a year ago. She hasn't come to our church, but she kept that John/Romans. One day, she got it out and decided to look at our church website. From there, she looked up our family website. When she got there, she was surprised to find that she already knew who I was. Y'all . . . she was already one of my blog readers!!! Can you believe that??? I had to laugh, I was so amazed! Somebody who doesn't know me at all, someone who doesn't go to our church, gets literature from our church and keeps it. Traces the trail down to the pastor's wife, who writes a blog - and she finds out it's one she already reads! Some people would call it a series of coincidences, but I call it God.

Somebody mentioned how God had seen Rita and me as little red-headed 4th-graders and had watched our paths all these years, till they met again. It thrills me to think of God seeing my new friend, reading my blog, and then orchestrating our meeting through Craigslist, of all things! He's the God of the Everyday, isn't He?

But it doesn't end there. After having this quite exciting exchange, still not hearing from the first person on my list, I went back and checked to see who was next. Bet you can't guess who it was. Two guesses, and the first two don't count. Yep. My new blog-reading friend! I couldn't believe it! LOL So I offered her the books, we made arrangements, and on Monday morning, she knocked on my door to pick up the books. Not only did I get to meet her through e-mail, here she was standing in my entry! She was a very sweet young woman, boyfriend in tow to help her carry the books, and a little bouquet of tulips for me! I was so touched that she would bring me flowers. They are still sitting in a vase on my kitchen table, blooming beautifully to remind me of a sweet new friend and an ever-present God who delights in delighting us.

I do have to say I had so many things planned to say to her, but I got so nervous about meeting someone new that I was speechless except for "I'm so glad to meet you!" over and over again. I felt like such a dork! LOL She didn't seem to mind that I was blabbering on, though, and has agreed that we should get together for coffee sometime after our move next week. We have lots to talk about! The next time we get together, I'll take a picture. I have a picture of the tulips, but now I can't find the camera to download it. I'll have to find it and show you. They are a delicious shade of pale pink - so pretty!

Now, how's that for an amazing story??? I loved it, and I hope you will too.

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is just SO neat! How fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susan, what an awesome God! That story means so much to me today ~ the reminder of how God orders our steps. We still have not found a church home, and I know we're visiting another new church tomorrow. *sigh* We just want a local, spiritual family so badly. I know God will lead us to it and let us know when we get there, but your story today was a good reminder of that! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, thanks for sharing this. That is so neat! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! I love to hear how God works to bring people together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a small world after all! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredible story. I can hardly wait to hear about the next meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is almost freaky! Thursday I ended up on a site through CMB and happened to see the word Venezuela.
    Then I saw a landmark about 2 blocks from my house in a photo.
    I read a little and noticed the writer was methodist. We have two methodist missionaries here in town so I asked her if she knew them. One of the families was in her house at that moment and she was taking them to the airport yesterday to fly home to Venezuela. Where we were to see them last night!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin