Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I Have News!

I have been sitting on this for several days to make sure everything worked out and was definite. We found a house! We've been living in a townhouse, which has been great and entirely adequate, but we've wanted a house, where we don't have to worry so much about noise and things like that. Last Wednesday I saw an ad for a house that is bigger than our townhouse for less money. I wasn't very hopeful, because a lower price like that usually means the house is less than desirable. The man asked me to ride by and look at the outside, then call him if we were interested in the inside. Wes and I looked drove by, and although the house was a light salmon color, it didn't look like a bad house, and it's in a good neighborhood, so I called back to make an appointment to look at the inside. The earliest the landlord could do was Saturday afternoon. I went at 2:00, liked what I saw, and called Wes to see how close he was to getting back into North Vancouver. He was close enough that I stayed at the house till he could get there. He liked it too, so we talked with the landlord a bit about the house and told him some things about ourselves. He called on Sunday afternoon to tell us the house is ours. I'm so excited!

We'll have to make a few changes. For one thing, Wes's desk will be in our bedroom. But the bedrooms in this house are large enough to do that. The kitchen is a little bit smaller, but it has nearly new (2 years old), full-size appliances (here we have apartment size stove and fridge). I will have to be a little more creative with storage in the new kitchen, but it's bigger than our kitchen in Ft. Worth was, so I think I can handle it. Those are the only changes I can think of at the moment.

Some of the features I love about this house are the bay window in the living room, the gas fireplace (I love a fireplace!), the self-cleaning oven and fridge with gallon storage in the door (that was a favorite thing about my last fridge), and a full bath in the master bedroom. One bedroom has a good-sized balcony, and there's a small (it really is small) deck off the kitchen, just big enough for a couple of chairs and a little table. The carpet is only a couple of years old, and I was amazed at the difference in it and our apartment carpet - night and day difference! The landlord said the carpet is high quality, and I believe it. I never knew you could tell the difference in carpets just by walking on them! The kitchen has beautiful laminate floors, something I've always thought I'd enjoy. They seem to be easy to care for.

The house isn't perfect, of course. What house is? The kitchen cabinets are very plain and old. The main bath has yellow fixtures - sink, tub, toilet - all yellow! LOL The whole house is a bit retro, shall we say? Dark panelling on a couple of walls, that kind of thing. Then I got to thinking about why I consider those bad points. The main reason is because I watch decorating shows and see "experts" constantly shaking their heads and throwing their hands up in horror over panelling or the wrong color of bathroom fixtures. I have decided that I can work with the colors instead of fighting them, and who cares if there's some panelling on the wall? It gives some character to the house! ;) The point is, I allow my thinking sometimes to be controlled by current fashion instead of looking at the bigger picture. It will not matter in eternity if my bath fixtures were yellow, now will it?

We move out of here on April 30th. We have permission to begin moving into the house on the Friday before, the 27th. I've been keeping up pretty well with housecleaning and decluttering (thanks to my February challenge!), so I think doing a little bit of packing each day will have us mostly ready to move that last week of the month. The major cleaning work is stuff like cleaning under appliances and cleaning walls, things that are easiest done after the furniture is out anyway. It hasn't been all that long since we moved here, just 2 1/2 years ago. Those of you with whom I correspond personally, I'll be sending out a change of address e-mail as the time gets nearer, so we can continue to keep in touch!

One last thing and I'll hush. When I found the ad for the house, I immediately began praying for two things if this were the house for us: that I would feel at home when I walked in, and that the Lord would give us favor with the landlord. When I walked in the front door, I thought, "I can live here!" and before we left that afternoon, the landlord said that as far as he knew, we were the ones he would choose. Both of those prayers were answered!

19 comments:

  1. Yeah! I'm so happy for you! I hope you'll post pictures! I agree with you about how easy it is to get caught up with the decorating, but you can always work around it. :-)

    Stop by for a minute, I've tagged you for an award.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((Susan)), I'm so excited for you!! How very wonderful!

    I agree with you about seeing things as bad vs. good in decorating. Truthfully, I love yellow in a bathroom; it just makes it seem so sunny and bright! Now, I've never seen one with yellow fixtures, but I bet you'll come up with something that will blend with it. In the end people will be wanting to copy your nifty, retro, sunny bathroom!

    It's really hard to tell exactly what a house will look like until you move in and hang pictures, etc. Your own touches always enhance it!

    Congratulations! I'll be praying for you as you get ready to move! -- lots of work, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exciting Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, how exciting:) I think the house sounds lovely!

    Julieann:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan!!! I am so excited for you!! (I just dropped a card in the mail for you today, so thankfully you'll still be at your same address when it arrives... unless it really goes by slow boat all the way to Canada!!)

    Re: your paneling in the new house. My mom had dark paneling in her kitchen and dining area. She had all the cabinets refinished and painted an eggshell color (off-whitish) and painted all the paneling to match. I can't tell you the difference in her house! The whiter walls really made the room look bigger. I'd really suggest it if you think it would brighten things up a bit.

    I don't think I've ever heard of yellow fixtures either. But - that's ok. Sounds like the house is worth putting up with that color.

    We'd like to see pictures!! Great news - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Susan!!! This is so exciting!!

    You are so right, your attitude helps out a lot in regards to so many things, including the condition of the house you live in!

    Have fun moving! =) I can't wait to see lots and lots of pictures of your new house! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, As someone who has lived with a paneled living room since 1976 all I can say is so? The house was so old and walls were so cracked paneling was the only way. My bed room has 2 different types of panels. My sons and I have no complaints about this house and I hope to live here til I go to my home on high.
    It is wonderful and I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Susan I'm so happy for you! As a professional mover, (not really but quite exterienced), I can relate to all the hard work you are about to tackle, but its oh so much fun to see the new house stat becoming yours! Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely be posting some pictures, but it won't be for a few weeks. We won't have the key till the last week of April.

    Deb, about the paneling . . . the one stipulation this landlord has is that HE does ALL the painting! LOL He has been in the rental business for many years, and the one thing he's found hardest to deal with is his tenants' ideas of what looks good in paint colors, and the quality of the painting they do. So . . . I suppose we could ask him to paint the paneling, but I think we'll wait on that for a bit. The paneled wall in the living room is mostly full of bay window, so once I get curtains up it won't be quite as noticeable, and there's only one other wall that is paneled. It's dark, but just those two walls, so I think it will just add some "character" to the rooms!

    I'm looking forward to making it mine with our pictures and slightly eclectic decor! ;) My decorating style is "whatever is cheap or has been given to me." We have a happy little hodge-podge of stuff, that although less than decorator style, is still precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds wonderful, yellow bathroom and all. Hey, retro is in again...I think... by the time I hear about the new trends, they are out of date!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tonja8:54 PM

    It's exciting to hear that you will have a house of your own! It's great to hear how the Lord answered your prayers about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Speaking of not knowing the trends till they're over, Rita . . . I know the trends as they happen, but I don't LIKE them until they're over! LOL I usually hate the newest stuff, then it grows on me, and by the time I like it, the trends have moved on to something else. At least you have a good reason; you live in another country! Come to think of it, I do too. But it's a country very similar to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your new home! It is always exciting to get all settled into a new place. I hope all of your packing and moving goes smoothly.

    Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so happy for you, Susan! You will have a lot of fun (with a little hard work) making this house a home for your family. At least you won't be in panic mode since you got a lot of decluttering done with the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What exciting news, Susan! I think you can easily spiff up that bathroom and it will look very nice, yellow fixtures and all! I agree with Jodi's comment about how yellow makes a bathroom sunny & bright.

    God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Susan,
    That is wonderful. I am so happy for you. We bought our house 6 years ago and we have been working on it ever since. LOl
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is wonderful news, Susan! I'm so happy for you and thankful the Lord answered your prayers! : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your new home. I bet you will have alot of fun decorating it. And bloggin about it. I enjoy reading your blog & the other blogs. I almost feel as if I personally know you from ya'll's posts. God Bless & happy Easter. He lives...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin