Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Reminiscing

I'm not even sure I spelled that title right, and I'm a pretty good speller. Something about it doesn't look right. I guess I could look it up, now couldn't I? But then what would I open my blog entry with? LOL

Ever since meeting Rita the other day and realizing we'd been classmates many moons ago, I've been in reminisce mode. Thinking back over my life. Remembering old friends. Going to Classmates.com to see who's registered there. Wes could care less who is where and what they're doing now, but I like to see what people are doing and how they've changed, how their lives have turned out.

One thing that is disheartening is the amount of our classmates whom we know for sure are still in church, any kind of church. I do know that some of them are serving the Lord. One guy is an evangelist; another is a county auditor who is known for his strong conservative stand on issues; one girl is a pastor's wife (as am I!); another teaches school in a public school, and last I heard, she and her husband are still in church. Counting Wes and myself, there are less than 10 people out of our class of 30 who even go to church. I've been quite surprised at the number of divorced classmates, too. I don't know their stories, but it is quite sad that so many of our marriages have not lasted very long.

Another thing I've been thinking about is how my own life has turned out. Where am I compared to where I thought I'd be 25 years ago? I have to say that I am doing exactly what I ultimately wanted to do, and that is being a wife, mother, and homemaker. I had originally planned to become a teacher, and I guess I did that too, being a homeschooler! I never went to college. I graduated high school in 1983, at a time when the teaching was that it was generally God's will for everyone to go to college, marry sometime after college graduation, have a bit of a career, then have one or two children. Very neat. It caused a little bit of a stir when I didn't go to college (I didn't have the money although I was accepted at a large Christian university), and then an even bigger stir when I married at age 19 (among extended family and family friends - not my parents). To be honest, I really had planned to wait till I was 22 or so to marry, and I was going to go to college, but my life took different turns and the Lord led in different directions. As I look back now, I can see His hand on my life. Although I'd still like to go to college, I am satisfied with how my life has turned out and I'm content in the Lord's will. I'd say I'm right about where I thought I'd be at this point!

Someone mentioned in a comment on the post about meeting Rita how God saw those two little red-headed little girls back there, and from his viewpoint He saw us meeting again all these years later on separate continents even! He knows the paths that we take; He orders our steps. My path has taken me a long way from Greenville, SC, but it's a thrill to look back through the years and see God's hand guiding, protecting, nudging . . . He sure has been good to this little red-headed girl!

How has your life turned out? Are you where you thought you'd be at this point in your life?

12 comments:

  1. Guess what? I didn't go to college either, unless you count one semester! And I got married at 18! lol. I enjoyed reading this, and thank God he was watching out for the two little red headed girls! He must have known red heads need extra attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed going to Classmates.com some time ago. I've actually been in touch with about 5 of my classmates and only two of them even claim to be saved and only one actually likes to talk about the Lord at all. The other three are not saved and have no desire to be. I'd like to be in touch with more but it just hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, Rita . . . my husband would say that at least HIS redhead needs some extra attention! LOL I can really get into some messes, let me tell you. There was so much emphasis on a college education back then, that I've always felt a little less accomplished, I guess, because of my lack of education. But I've also had people tell me that all their college education got them was an expensive piece of paper! ;)

    Sis. Julie, did you go to a Christian school? Maybe the Lord will use the contact with you to help lead some of your old friends to the Lord. Wouldn't that be great?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, how fun and exciting that you've connected with a classmate!

    No college for me either...and I have to admit I have lots of times felt like I wasn't smart enough around lots of college educated friends. It seems everyone went to college but me!

    Now with the way colleges are (even Christian colleges) and wanting to prepare our girls for marriage and not a career, I have different feelings about attending college than I did years ago.

    The Lord has blessed our family in more ways because we've trusted Him and sought His best. So I'm where I am and the person I am because the Lord has directed my paths. I wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good memories are a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so neat to see how the Lord works!

    BTW, are you related to Wesley & Evelyn Hutchens, missionaries to Jamaica?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been to Classmates.com as well. I have not tried to really keep in touch too much except for maybe one or two friends. I love how the Lord works and looking back, I can def. see His hand in my life. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,

    I graduated high school in 1992 and had no desire what so ever to attend college. ( I did go for 3 years, to study Accounting). I've always wanted to run a business or two with whomever my spouse would be. I never thought that would be possible.

    God is so good, He knows exactly what is best for us and when we trust him with our futures--things turn out better than we could've planned ourselves. He has proven this to me over and over :)

    I was under tremendous pressure to attend college and I think it is even worse today. I'm not at all sure college is the best route for all kids like so many people believe today. All of the most important and useful things I've learned that still help me today (including Accounting) I DID NOT LEARN AT COLLEGE.

    I know so many college graduates that don't have half the ingenuity, creativity or work ethic as a 16 year old homeschooled teen.

    Our country was built by non-college educated farmers, inventors, presidents, homemakers and buisness men.

    Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs. C, I know Wesley and Evelyn Hutchens pretty well - I am their daughter-in-law! LOL My husband is Wesley, Jr., their oldest child. They've been in Jamaica for over 22 years, coming home soon for furlough, and still going back!

    Deb, all of the other pastor's wives up here are Bible college graduates. Talk about feeling less than best! It doesn't seem to matter to our people whether or not I've been to college. We've only had to make one decision so far about our children attending college, but I know the Lord will guide us and our children when the time comes. Your family is a great example of that!

    Trixie, you bring up a great point about learning the most things outside of college! I must say, the older I get the more I realize that I probably have quite a bit of "education" just from living day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dunno if I mentioned this on here or not but if I did, my apologies for repeating myself. But I went to Jerry Falwells IFB Baptist College. My late Aunt & Uncle were IFB & Knew him. I went for 2 1/2 yrs. Wound up working & then marrying hubby in 86. I later got laid off which was probably just as well as I am now free to be a housewife & take care of hubby with his diabetes & being legally blind from it.

    I went to a Christian School from kindergarten thru 5th grade. Amazing thing swas my hubby went there at the same time but was in a different grade being 10 yrs older than me. I didn't know him at the time but had seen him around school from a distance & in the yearbook. I remember looking at the yearbook once after I had grown up & seeing his pic & figuring he was probably already married & had kids. Nope. God was saving him for me. :) Our pastor went to the same school same time we did but he was a gradew higher that I was. I used to see him running up & down the halls alot & he was one of the popular kids. I had no idea he'd end up being a preacher. His wife is ao sweet & Godly. After their kids grew up they adopted 2 multiracial boys & they have raised those kids to be such nice kids. Another a few other guys who went to that school same time as me but in Mikes class, they go to a couple of the other Presbyterian churches in town so we see them at church events sometimes when the churches get together. They've grown up to be good parents to their kids & raise them up in church. Still there's alot of folks we went to school with where I have no idea whatever became of them...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheryl, I think it's neat how your husband went to the same school you did but was so much older. How sweet that you married later on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks!~ I think that is so neat too. How I met him was my best friend who also goes to our church & is a member there too, she set me up on a blind date with him. I thought I wasn't in love with him but I did have fun with him. After dating him along time I had no idea whether or not I loved him & wondering if he was Mr Right. So I prayed & asked God if he was the right one to let me fall in love with him & feel something for him. Be careful what you pray for lol cuz I wound up falling plum crazy in love with him and we've been married 21 yrs this yr & We dated 3 yrs before marrying. I am convinced that God had it all planned out for me to meet my friend so I would meet my hubby thru her. When I thought I'd never find anyone to love God sent me someone. It's been quite a 21 yrs... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin