Monday, March 26, 2007

Wedding Meme

I saw this Wedding Meme this morning at Stray Thoughts. I'm quite sappy, so I thought I'd torture you with this one today! ;)

1. Where/How did you meet? We met at church, introduced by a mutual friend. That sounds very grown-up, but we were only 15.

2. How long have you known each other? 26 years

3. How long after you met did you start dating? I think our first date was about 5 months after we met.

4. How long did you date before you were engaged? About two years, but there was a year and a half in there that we didn't date.

5. How long was your engagement? Six months

6. How long have you been married? 22 years

7. What is your anniversary? October 12th

8. How many people came to your wedding reception? I'm not sure - about 100, I'd guess.

9. What kind of cake did you serve? I think it was white cake, white frosting, with pink trailing flowers

10. Where was your wedding? Tabernacle Baptist Church - Greenville, SC

11. What did you serve for your meal? We just had cake, mints, and punch. I don't think very many people did meals then, unless they were wealthy!

12. How many people were in your wedding party? We had 4 groomsmen and 4 bridesmaids.

13. Are you still friends with them all? Let's see - we've lost touch with two bridesmaids and three groomsmen, although we did reconnect with one of them a few years ago. If we were to all get together now, we'd probably pick up right where we left off, though. We were all good friends.

14. Did your spouse cry during the ceremony? No

15. Most special moment of your wedding day? After the wedding, when Wes and I were walking alone to the reception area. He stopped and kissed me!

16.Any funny moments? When my brother caught my bouquet. He was a rabid Clemson Tigers football fan at that time, and he dashed right through the crowd of young ladies, made a catch worthy of any football player, and continued through to the other side shouting, "Touchdown for the Clemson Tigers!" It wasn't funny then, although it's hilarious now!

17. Any big disasters? Well . . . it might be more appropriate to ask if anything went right! While preparing for our reception, someone rinsed the borrowed punch bowl with hot water. Someone else placed the frozen slush for the punch in it immediately after and proceded to make the entire bowl full of punch. Imagine the surprise somebody got when they picked up the bowl and the bottom of the bowl stayed on the table! And did I mention that this was a borrowed punch bowl???

The church where we got married operates a Bible college. The classes are at night. My wedding was at 7 p.m. on a Friday night. The dean of the college announced that a wedding was taking place at 7, and to keep the classes quiet. Apparently at least one teacher felt that the best way to keep the classes quiet was to send them to the wedding . . . and the reception. As I was waiting in the shadows, watching beloved friends and family members arrive for my wedding, I kept seeing people I didn't recognize. After the ceremony, our plan was for Wes and me to run down to the reception area for the cake and punch pictures, then run back upstairs for the pictures in the church with our families and the wedding party. So far, so good. But when we got back down to the reception with families and wedding party in tow, there was no cake left. The students who had invited themselves to our wedding had also come to the reception and eaten all the cake! Fortunately, the college and Christian school were selling Krispy Kreme doughnuts as a fundraiser, so our dads bought a bunch of boxes of doughnuts from some lucky student(s), and the family at least got something sweet to eat!

Those are just the major things . . . Wes likes to say we got all the trouble out of the way at the wedding. The rest has been pretty smooth sailing!

18. Where did you go on your honeymoon? We went to The Orchard Inn in Saluda, NC for our first night, then to Gatlinburg, TN for a few days (till the money ran out). The day after we got home, Wes's parents called and asked if we could come and spend a few days with them, as they were leaving for the mission field of Jamaica the next week. So we spent the last half of our honeymoon with his parents and younger brothers and sister. That was a little awkward, but we lived through it! ;)

19. How long were you gone? A little over a week, counting Gatlinburg and the visit to Wes's parents.

20. If you were to do your wedding over, what would you change? The songs. I chose more secular songs because I didn't realize there were any others I could have chosen.

21. What side of the bed do you sleep on? Right.

22. What size is your bed? Queen

23. Greatest strength as a couple? Commitment - quitting has never been an option

24. Greatest challenge as a couple? Financial difficulties earlier in our marriage.

25. Who literally pays the bills? Wes

26. What is your song? We don't have one.

27. What did you dance your first dance to? We've never danced!

28. Describe your wedding dress: I'll do like Barbara did and just show you!


29. What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding? I had deep burgundy and white roses in my bouquet. Each of my bridesmaids carried a single long stem pink rose, and the only decorations were huge Boston ferns. Our mothers and grandmothers had pink sweetheart rose corsages.

30. Are your wedding bands engraved? No

31. How old were you when you got married? We were both 19. Which seems very young now, especially since our oldest is 18.

Feel free to grab this meme and play along — let me know if you do.

10 comments:

  1. Tabernacle! I know where that is! I attended there a handful of times in college (didn't go to college there, just visited the church), and when my son was on the basketball team here, they played Tabernacle. I am astounded that the one teacher sent everyone to the wedding! That's funny that Wes said you got all the trouble out of the way at the wedding. I was driving Jim's car during our engagement and was in a hit-and-run accident (I was the one who was hit), and Jim said, "Well, at least we got the 'Honey, I wrecked the car' hurdle over before we got married." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up mostly at Tabernacle, but when my dad remarried, my new mom was a member at Southside Baptist, another church you may have been familiar with, so I ended up graduating at Southside. By the time I got married, we were back at Tabernacle! LOL

    We had lots of university students come to Tabernacle on Sunday nights. My sister met her husband that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, I just looked back at my post and realized that I failed to link to your blog - I'm sorry! I try to always link to other blogs when I mention them. I'll go fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I copied the meme and answered it on my blog: http://smellygoodstuffs.com/blog1/2007/03/26/wedding-meme/

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Tabernacle Baptist once. It was when I was 4 yrs old lol. I went with my mom & my late IFB Baptist Aunt who knew Harold Sightler the preacher. (He's in heaven now). Not sure if my Dad & Uncle went. All I remember of the service was we stood up & sang alot of old hymns and have a vague memory of Oliver Greene. Whether he spoke there or not I dunno. I just remember it seemed like they were taking forever to sing the hymns & I couldn't wait to sit down. I was only 4 lol. I'm almost 46 so you know how long ago that has been. That was a neat wedding story you posted... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to read all your wedding memories. I am going to do this this week on my homeschool blog mcbenningschool.blogspot.com.

    I have enjoyed your writings and happenings a great deal.

    Warm sunny wishes from New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna, I popped over there and read yours - thanks for jumping in!

    Cheryl, I believe you told me before about going to Tabernacle once when you were a little girl. I still miss it at times. I didn't know what a treasure I had as a girl to have Dr. Sightler as my pastor, that's for sure!

    Jennifer, I'll be watching to see yours! Warm and sunny sounds good right now. Thanks for your sweet words - I do appreciate them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I wasn't old enough to have really appreciated my visit to Taberbacle Baptist.If I repeated myself do forgive me lol. But I was only 4 lol. I used to listen to Rev Sightler on the radio whenever I could get him. I listen to his grandson Ben Carper (I think that's his name now)whenever I can get him. He took over the radio program after Sightler died. He's pretty good too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wes and I were classmates with Ben Carper. We all used to eat lunch together every day our junior year in high school. We haven't seen Ben in probably 20 years, due to our living all over the country and now out of the country, although we do hear of him occasionally through the folks back home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is neat that you went to school with Ben Carper. I'd never heard of him & had no idea he was taken over his pandpa's show until one day I tuned in 670 the Christian talk channel in Clairemont & he was on. I lnow like to hear him whenever I can pick him up & come accross hi,,,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin