Monday, February 26, 2007

I Finally Lost It!

Weight, that is! Since last Monday morning, I have lost 3 1/2 pounds. As a last resort, I decided last Monday that I would try once again keeping track of the point values of the food I eat, a la Weight Watchers. This was a move of desperation. If it didn't work, I was going to give up, eat what I want, and get just as fat as I could blame on the diabetes medicine! ;) So last week I dutifully wrote down everything I ate and how many points it cost. I did really good until Sunday, which was the last day for the week anyway, and even then I counted the points, but I went over for the week by one point. I've been exercising, so a friend has helped me figure out my activity points, which helped a lot for when I have blood sugar lows, which is quite often if I'm not careful. So, using all my daily points, flex points, and activity points, I still went one point over for the week - but only because of a hypo episode yesterday. But I still lost 3 1/2 pounds!

So I am pleased . . . and relieved. I can at least curb the weight gain from the medication, eat well enough to treat hypos, and even lose some weight. Praise the Lord! You have no idea how discouraged I was over all this. I felt like I was caught between a rock and a hard place, you know? Counting points isn't fun, and sometimes it's not easy, but I know it works for me. I'll probably fall off the wagon again somewhere along the way, but with the Lord's help, I want to keep doing this. If you've considered WW (and this is not an ad for them), but weren't sure it would work, it works for me . . . with my weight-loss-resistant, insulin-wacky body. It might work for you; you just never know till you try. It's the only thing that has worked for me to any noticeable extent.

14 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about discouragement with losing weight. I did the weight watchers and lost 47 lbs once then gained most of it back then got with it again and lost close to 30 lbs and now I've gained all of it back again. Its so hard when I don't have anyone to exercise with and to do the program with. Its so much easier when there is someone to do it with. I'm proud of you though. Sounds like you got the encouragement you needed. Keep it up...I know you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, congratulations to you!!!

    This winter has been hard for me. I'm over the fascination with the winter weather and I'm ready for spring already! =) I haven't gotten much exercise at all this winter. But I'm back to working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, great job!! I am very excited for you! I am starting back on WW on Thursday March 1st. I usually have to have a big deadline start date to get going again. Since it didn't happen already this year, this Thursday is DA DAY!

    Maybe we can encourage each other. I actually like counting points because I know it works. I just don't like NOT eating sweets because they take up too many of my allowed points (which is the point!).

    I'll pray for you. Will you pray for me to get with it on Thursday morning right off the bat? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news on the losing of 3 1/2 pounds. Keep up the good work. And I know it's tough going sometimes but nothing worth having or doing is ever easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sis. Julie, you have done an amazing job of losing weight! I've never, ever lost more than about 10-15 pounds. You can do it!

    Tammy, what about all that sledding you've been doing? ;) I know what you mean, though. I don't like to exercise when it's cold, either.

    Deb, you go, girl!!! I sure will pray for you. We definitely can encourage each other. And I know what you mean about the sweets taking too many points. I think that's the point! ;) I can't tell you how many times I've chosen an apple or orange over a cookie, because I didn't have enough points left - and that's a good thing, seeing as how I'm not supposed to eat sweets and all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mama of 2, you were posting as I was! LOL Just wanted to say you are so right - anything worth having usually takes some work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh congratulations, that's so wonderful! (o:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!!!

    I know it is so so difficult to loose weight, esp in winter time when all you want to do is eat and sleep. Summer is so much easier, it seems all you want is a nice healthy salad and to get outside in the fresh air.

    You CAN do it!!

    Take Care,

    Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping track of Weight Watchers Points is the only thing that helps me to stay on track with all of this eating in the ministry. I need to get back on track with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you Susan!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seemed that I used to lose weight so easily until I got diabetes and now I really have to fight to lose even a pound. I wish I liked to exercise but I have to fight to do that also. Keep up the good work. connie from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear! I think I found what you lost!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your sweet words! It does feel good to have found - at least for one week - somethnig that works! We'll see how it goes this week.

    Connie, type 2 diabetes is the result of insulin resistance, which makes it hard to lose weight. It's a never-ending battle, but we can always keep trying, taking care of our bodies!

    Jungle Mom, I'm sorry you found what I lost, and I know you want to get rid of it too . . . but I don't want it back! ;) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! That's exciting.

    I so need to do something before I start having insulin problems like my mom did.

    BTW, I tagged you for a blogging meme, if you have the time and inclination. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin