Friday, January 26, 2007

A New Man

Thirty-five years ago today, January 26, 1972, a young man walked into a revival service in an independent, fundamental Baptist church in Columbia, SC. An old childhood chum had invited him to go to church with him that week. The young man had been searching for something, he didn't quite know what, but something. His heart was restless. I don't know what the evangelist preached that night, but that young man heard something that made sense to him. He realized he was a sinner before God and could do nothing to save himself, and he believed the message that God had sent His Son, Jesus, to pay for his sins. That night he repented of those sins and place his trust in Jesus Christ as his Saviour. That young man's name was Jack, and he was my Daddy.

I can't tell you how glad I am that my Daddy got saved. I was only six years old. I don't remember much about him before he got saved (he says he's glad about that!), but I knew there was a difference after that night. The changes that came were lasting ones. Those changes have rippled down through these 35 years. The ripples that started that night have reached into several US states and the nations of Mexico and Canada and touched hundreds of other lives through the years. By God's grace, we're trusting that those ripples will reach around the world through his grandchildren and even his great-grandchildren.

Sometimes I wonder where we would all be had it not been for God's reaching down that night and touching my Daddy's heart, convicting him of sin, and convincing him to trust Him. My heart is full of thanksgiving today for God's miraculous work in our family. Happy 35th (Spiritual) Birthday, Daddy! :)

9 comments:

  1. God has certainly given you a "goodly heritage".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story to pass on to grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sweet. It's amazing to think of all the lives that have been touched because he was sensitive to the moving of the Holy Spirit!!

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you made me cry. That is God's work in a nutshell! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:32 AM

    The joy of a 'spiritual rebirth', as it is...is unlike none other~~! What a joy to see it given tribute here ;). And what a blessing for his children. Thanks for sharing. Eileen @ http://halfwayhome.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy spiritual birthday to your dad. He sounds like such an inspirastion. I am so glad my folks got saved before I was born. Thanks to their influence I was felt led to go to a Christian school in kindergarden & grade school even tho I was not yet saved. In first grade at that school I got saved when a missionary spoke & gave an invitation at the end. My mom had been preaching to me before that telling me I would burn in hell if I didn't get saved. That scared 6 yr old me. My late IFB Aunt got the ball rolling in the family by inviting my folks to a tent revival where they got saved & also making sure her family was all saved. God Bless you all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blessing to see God's faithfulness in your family...and that is started with your dad. Thanks for sharing Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, great..now I am all choked up here...LOL. Praise the Lord for salvation, for Calvary, for laying His life down as a sacrifice for us no good sinful people...praise God that somebody led us to Christ or invited us out to church and we got savd there! Praise God indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gosh that is so sweet! Just reading tha post now. Brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad that our gracious father touched your daddy that day, and for the way he touches so many lives, including my own father's as well. I never knew my dad growing up (divorce), but I met him when I was 26 and it has been such a blessing for all of us that he is a born-again believer { I'm not sure exactly what that term entails, but I know that he loves Jesus and that makes me happy!} :)
    Thanx for this sweet post, what a good reminder to chersih God's work in our lives and the people in our lives!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin