Wednesday, January 31, 2007

101 in 1,001

In various places around the web, I've spotted people who have made lists of 101 Things To Do in 1,001 Days. I don't remember where I first saw it, but my friend Tammy has one. Here are the guidelines:

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as new year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

The idea intrigued me immediately, and I even made a list of 101 things, but I never went public with it. I did accomplish a few things, though. Since it's still pretty much a new year (can you believe we're finished with January already?!), I decided to update my list and go public with it. These are things that I would like to do to improve myself spiritually and physically, as well as goals I'd like to accomplish in our home and with my music and crafts. I plan to put the permalink to this post in my sidebar and update it as I accomplish my goals. My beginning date is February 1, 2007, and the ending date is October 29, 2009. Sounds like a long time away, but I'm finding that time moves faster than ever these days. I'd better go get busy!

101 in 1001 – February 1, 2007 through October 29, 2009

Spiritual

1. Read through the Bible in 40 days
2. Teach completely through the Bible in Sunday school June, 2008
3. Memorize a chapter of the Bible
4. Lead 10 people to Christ
5. Teach a ladies’ Bible study series
6. Attend a ladies’ retreat February, 2008

Family/Friends

7. Become landed immigrants
8. Make Christmas ornament for each member of extended family
9. Take a week-long trip with Wes
10. Take an overnight trip with Beth
11. Get all our pictures put into albums
12. Frame and display latest family portrait and kids’ portraits May, 2008
13. Call each of our siblings in one month
14. Take a week-long family vacation
15. Take church ladies on a trip (retreat, shopping)
16. Have each family in our church into our home for dinner
17. Send a card for each extended family member’s birthday for one year

Personal Improvement

18. Lose 30 pounds
19. Drink only water for one week
20. Go to bed at 10 p.m. for one month
21. Hike Grouse Grind
22. Go snowshoeing
23. Ride entire North Shore bike trail system
24. Write an article and submit it for publication
25. Write an e-book
26. Read one new book per month for one year
27. Read 5 biographies of great Christian women
28. Read 5 biographies of great Christian men
29. Get braces
30. Get a facial
31. Get a manicure and pedicure
32. Spend one full week without the computer (at home) March, 2007
33. Try a new hairstyle July, 2007
34. Learn to cut men’s hair



Home Improvement

35. Complete Home Management Binder
36. Get an armoire for the TV
37. Get a bicycle August, 2007
38. Make/buy kitchen curtains May, 2007
39. Make/buy bedroom curtains
40. Paint Beth’s room
41. Paint boys’ room
42. Paint kitchen
43. Paint master bathroom
44. Paint master bedroom
45. Organize bookshelves by category
46. Paint patio furniture
47. Refinish cedar chest
48. Make a flower garden
49. Grow and learn to use one herb
50. Grow a crop of strawberries
51. Make a vegetable garden for one summer
52. Repot and propagate African violet
53. Get Christmas cactus to bloom November, 2007
54. Grind wheat
55. Make bread from freshly ground wheat
56. Declutter and organize credenza
57. Declutter and organize file cabinets
58. Display quilt given to us on deputation
59. Get Beth a new bedspread

Cross Stitch

60. Finish Wes’s eagle – Isaiah 40:31
61. Finish ‘Sweet Treat’
62. Make Christmas table runner
63. Stitch Christmas sampler
64. Stitch ‘No Tears Past the Gate’
65. Stitch ‘Quilt Square ABC’s’
66. Stitch ‘Trust in the Lord’
67. Stitch ‘Sheep of His Pasture’
68. Enter a x-stitch contest
69. Learn to stitch on linen and stitch a small design

Sewing

70. Get a serger
71. Get a dressmaker’s form
72. Make a quilt for display
73. Make a quilt for Samuel
74. Make a quilt for Andrew
75. Make a quilt for Beth
76. Learn to alter a pattern
77. Learn to alter a ready-made skirt
78. Learn to draft a pattern
79. Make 7 aprons
80. Finish and display Granny’s quilt tops

Other Crafts

81. Organize craft supplies
82. Learn to knit and make a scarf
83. Learn to tat and make a bookmark
84. Finish navy blue afghan
85. Crochet a tablecloth
86. Crochet placemats
87. Crochet 5 dish cloths
88. Make 10 cards in each category: lady’s birthday, men’s birthday, get well, friendship, new baby, wedding, anniversary
89. Make all our Christmas cards
90. Take third Wilton cake decorating class

Music

91. Memorize 5 hymn arrangements for piano
92. Learn all the chords for every key
93. Learn the scale for every major key
94. Learn all the minor keys and their scales
95. Learn the arpeggio for every key
96. Learn to do a harmonic analysis of a song
97. Learn to play the flute
98. Write a simple hymn arrangement
99. Attend a Majesty Music MusiCollege
100. Finish Hymnproviser series
101. Gather and organize sheet music

11 comments:

  1. I saw when Tammy did this, as well, and have wanted to do it all along and just not gotten up the nerve. Good for you!! Maybe I'll get to it someday.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a list! I LOVED reading all those things, Susan! You will be a busy girl! However, I think you left one out...maybe #9a?

    9a) Hop a plane and visit my friend Deb in Virginia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:44 AM

    Grace, I love your list!

    I may be able to help you with #71, the dress form. I made a duct tape double with the help my DH...and it's ME! It took a couple of hours one afternoon and about $10 in duct tape. I used the instructions from www.tauton.com/Threads/pages/t00002.asp.

    The real good news...if my size/shape changes, I can make a new one!

    Blogger won't let me sign in this morning...sigh!

    Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great list! It was fun to read. (o:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, you should at least make a list, even if you never make it public! It helped me sort out what kinds of things I'd like to do, what things were iffy. It kinda gets some things off my mind, because I have them written down where I don't have to remember them. Now, remembering to look at the list is another story! LOL

    Deb, HOW could I have missed #9a??? I'm so glad you caught that! ;) I would seriously love to hop a plane and come visit you! You could teach me to knit and we could make a quilt together!

    Alberta, I have seen tutorials for those dress forms, and I have considered making one. I'll have to see. It kinda scares me to think of making one! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list, Susan! I enjoyed reading through it. Have fun working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy, I was looking through yours again last night when I linked to it, and noticed that some of our goals are alike. That's fun!

    Thanks for the encouragement, Julie. I've actually found myself daydreaming about crossing things off the list! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just reading these made me want to crawl under a rock. You have set quite the goal, Little Missy! :) Somehow, I think you'll make it!

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, Kristi, don't crawl under a rock! :) I have over 2 1/2 years to finish all of these goals. That's the only reason I can even begin to think of setting so many goals!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin