Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Happy 18th, Samuel!!!!

Today is our older son Samuel's birthday! I just can't believe that 18 years have gone by since I became a mother! He was our early Christmas present in 1988. I remember not having any money even to buy a Christmas tree, but we had our baby, so it was a good year.

Samuel has given us joy ever since his birth. We had had a difficult time having a baby, and when we found out in April that he was finally coming, we were thrilled. I ate, breathed, slept baby that year! LOL When he was born - a week late - I just couldn't believe that I'd actually had a baby. He was so quiet and sweet, with a calm personality. He didn't even cry at birth, just squeaked a little. The nurses thought his little squeaky cry was so cute!

He has kept that easy-going personality all his life. He's pretty quiet, unless you get him talking about sports, especially baseball. He loves the Texas Rangers; he's been a loyal fan of theirs since he was a little bitty boy. He also loves hockey, and the Vancouver Canucks quickly replaced the Dallas Stars when we moved to Vancouver. Our gift to him this year is a Canucks game - he and Wes are going to the game tonight.

Samuel was saved when he was 7 years old. We'd been waiting for him to get saved, but every time he'd talk about it with us, we could sense that something was holding him back. He finally admitted his need to be saved when one of his friends asked him if he was sure he was going to heaven - thanks, Brian! When Sam said no, Brian came and got Wes to talk to him, and Sam got saved that night. About 7 years ago, Samuel came to Wes and told him that he thought the Lord was calling him to be a missionary, and of all places, he felt he was being called to Canada! Yes, this was before the Lord lead us to Canada! So that's been settled in his heart ever since, and he's been totally thrilled to be living in Canada these past two years. His plans at this point are to finish college, work with an established church somewhere in the US or Canada, and someday go as a missionary to start a church in an area that has no independent Baptist church in Canada, which could be almost anywhere in the country.

I don't know how it happened, but somehow that little baby boy has grown up to be a fine young man. It surely wasn't my expertise as a mother or having a perfect dad. The more I reflect upon it, the more I realize that it's simply the grace and mercy of God, to raise a boy to honor Him in spite of his parents! Those are not just empty words; I honestly have to bow before the Lord in awe that our children are serving Him, when I've been far from a perfect mother. We've tried to serve the Lord faithfully and with our whole hearts, but it's only His grace that brings blessings in our life.

So Happy Birthday, Samuel!!!! We love you more than we can ever say, and we are deeply proud of you and the man you are becoming. We will always love you.

We had a surprise party for him Saturday, and I wrote about it here, but the pictures were way too big. I took the post off, and I'll repost it when I have a chance to sit down and play with the pictures.

12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Samuel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday from our family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:29 PM

    Happy Birthday Samuel!!! Man it is hard to believe that we have an 18 year old GRANDson. We are proud of you and praying much for you. Granddaddy, Grandmamma, Bekah and Benji.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Samuel!! Enjoy your time at the game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, and I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give Samuel Birthday Blessings from me, Dawn, all the way in Germany!
    I liked turning 18. It was a great year, well except for joining the Army but we won't go into that...LOL.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Samuel! It's wonderful to see a young man with a really fine purpose in life. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Samuel!!! Hope you had a wonderful day and that God blessed you beyond measure.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations and the Lord bless you.

    Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy (belated) Birthday!
    Watching my children grow has been (and always will be) bittersweet. But what a blessing when we are able to see the fruit of our labors in them.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog, by the way. It was great to hear from you!

    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ~ Christina
    HsKubes' HomeSchool Haven

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Samuel! LOL, I know, I'm late!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday to your Samuel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin