Monday, December 25, 2006

Family at Christmas

We had such a good time as a family this morning! We got the kids up around 8:00 - yes, we actually have to wake them up on Christmas - and went downstairs to read about Jesus' birth from Luke 2 and then open our gifts. We're a each-person-open-one-gift family, where we start with Dad and go around the room, each person opening one gift and everyone else watching. Today we did smallest gift to largest, and it was so much fun to see everyone's reactions to what we bought each other. We had lots of laughs too, as each person's personality was revealed by the gifts they received! For example, Beth's gift to me was a foot massager, the kind that has little nubs on it and vibrates when you put your foot on it. I LOVE THIS THING. My kids know that I pamper my sickly feet with creams, soft socks, shoes with good arch support, and plenty of foot rubs. Andrew bought me a soft, velvety robe - oh, I could crawl up in that thing and sleep forever! And Samuel fed my newest love, cake decorating, with some supplies. How do these kids know??? LOL They know their Mama well.

My parents called from Mexico, where they're visiting with my sister and her family. They said it's cold down there, believe it or not. All the houses are concrete, with only space heaters, so when it gets cold outside, it's even colder in the house. They were all wearing their coats in the house! It was good to hear from them this morning, and good to know they're all together having a great Christmas. Later today Wes and I will call his parents in Jamaica and our siblings in various towns in North and South Carolina.

I'm so thankful for the family we have, both our immediate family and extended family. Our parents and siblings and children are all saved, and all the nieces and nephews who are old enough are too, and we're all serving the Lord in various parts of North America. We don't see each other a lot, and we especially miss that on holidays, but one day . . . one day we will get to sit down at a meal and never have to say goodbye again!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas day! We always spend Christmas with our immediate family (my husband was a Marine for 21 years before we came into the ministry), and I look forward to making this a special time for them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to the last part! Our oldest flew in for this holiday and will remain until next weekend. Our 2nd will fly up with her and at least we'll have ONE CHILD at home!! (He has school next week). We're all having so much fun the time is FLYING BY :( but that's okay. It was fun reading your traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessed Christmas you all had!!! Praise the Lord! Me and DH had a wonderful Christmas as well, but it went by so quickly! Now he is back at work and I am back to doing laundry and picking up the wreck we made in the living room yesterday...LOL.
    Oh to be a child again and not hav any worries and concerns.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Susan. What an inspiring post of family and serving.

    Sounds like you all had a great time. I was smiling just picturing you all opening your gifts. :)

    We had a good Christmas too. I'm going to have to post in parts beginning with Bus ministry because I took so many pictures. It was a great weekend.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Susan, for the last part of your post. Such a wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another "amen" to the last part of your post.

    Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. We open gifts one-at-a-time also. I can't imagine it any other way. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a wonderful Christmas! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin