Saturday, November 11, 2006

I've Been Alone for a Couple of Days

Wes and the kids went to a youth conference in Portland, OR. They left early Thursday morning - like 5:30 - and will be home now in a couple of hours. I've only been lonely at night; I hate going to bed alone! But I've stayed busy. I didn't realize just how much of a mess my house really was until I was the only one in it. And why is it so much easier to clean when no one is around? So I've gotten some good cleaning done, although I didn't get to a decluttering project that really, really needs to get done.

Thursday I spent the day making phone calls (one to my dad, which was overdue!) and getting the school stuff ready to mail to the teachers. I practiced a bit with the cake decorating - I'm lousy at writing! That's going to take lots of practice. On Friday I did my grocery shopping, mailed the kids' school papers, paid a bill, went to Michael's (they had a 50% off coupon!), and took my time doing it all. There was no pressure to get back home! I cleaned out my fridge in the afternoon - ugh! Then a family in our church had me over for supper last night. I enjoyed the time with them as we ate and watched a movie. It was Not Without My Daughter, with Sally Field, about a woman whose husband forced her to move to Iran with him and held her hostage there, and her escape with their daughter. I had heard of it, but had never seen it. Today I did some more cleaning and extra laundry. Everything is all nice, clean, and shining. Just waiting for the family to get home. Then it will all go back to normal! LOL

I do enjoy these rare times alone. They don't happen very often! And while I enjoy the quiet and the chance to do things at my own pace, I'm looking forward to seeing my husband and children, and having all three of the kids trying to tell me everything that happened all at once, and going to bed tonight with my snoring husband. I'm thankful for the down time, but I'm ready to roll again!

7 comments:

  1. I had to laugh about your snoring husband comment. Kevin was away at a men's retreat a month or so ago, and I really missed him at night. I heard all the "house noises" that I typically don't hear--because my husband's snoring is loud enough to cover them up! LOL

    It sounds like you had a nice time! It's always great to get caught up on things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about it being easier to clean the house when no one is there. It's nice to sit and enjoy it being clean for a bit but BETTER to enjoy it with your family around you. :)

    I saw Not Without My Daughter years ago and CRIED AND CRIED!!! What a sad thing that that happened!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about all the quiet time. I love quiet time around the house for a little while before I begin to miss the normal noises of husband and kids being around. As for the cleaning part....I agree....I do so much better with cleaning when no one is home too. Everyone seems to be in my way when they are home....I don't know. I'm glad you enjoyed your time alone and can understand why you are so ready for them to get home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am getting ready to be alone for a few days too. My husband is at a class this week and my son will attending College Days at Pacific Baptist College. I have *BIG* plans for major house stuff while they are gone! : )

    The movie you mentioned really hits home for me, because we had a similiar situation with my sis-in-law and her daughter (she married a man from Syria). In fact I actually corresponded with the woman that the story is based on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I've been alone a few times in sixteen years of marriage and I can never sleep. Glad your family will be home soon.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:08 PM

    I didn't see the movie "Not Without My Daughter," but I read the book. It was truly incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:09 PM

    Oops! Silly me, I forgot to sign my last post.

    JanH

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin