Saturday, October 07, 2006

Thanksgiving Weekend

This is Thanksgiving Weekend here in Canada; Thanksgiving is Monday. Wes is preaching on thankfulness all this month, and we're having a missionary in next Sunday. Next Sunday morning I'll be teaching the kids about Jim Elliott, to emphasize missions that day. After church tomorrow, though, we're having a Thanksgiving meal with our church family. We're at the point where we can start delegating some jobs to those in the church gifted in certain areas, and planning the meals is one of those areas! We have a lady who has a real gift for hospitality and organizing food events, so we asked her to organize it all. She has been such a help to me in getting this meal together! I am so glad to have a helper, because I am not as good at organizing. I can work all day once the plan is made, but I'm not great at making the plan.

Tomorrow night, we're going to a grand opening service for Grace Korean Baptist Church, a brand new independent Baptist church for Koreans in the Vancouver area. Our family is singing, and I think Wes is preaching (with an interpretor, of course!). Several of our church family are going with us, which really thrills us. We love to have them go with us to other churches of like faith and get to know other pastors and church members.

Monday will be our family Thanksgiving meal. I'm having a hard time adjusting to Thanksgiving being 6 weeks earlier than we celebrated in the US. I was talking to another missionary wife last Saturday, and she said she hasn't adjusted fully yet either, and she's been here for over 5 years! So I guess I have a little way to go in adjusting to that, then. The kids don't have any problems adjusting. They love Thanksgiving dinner and are glad we're having it Monday. I'll probably just get a turkey breast or large chicken, because I don't have room in my freezer to store a turkey or in my fridge to thaw it. I'm heading to the store in a few minutes to see what I can find. We even thought about grilling steaks; the weather is supposed to be perfect Monday. But that just doesn't seem very Thanksgivingish, does it?

We'll be out of the house most of the day and evening tomorrow, so I'll wish you all a good Sunday now. See you again Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! Isn't it great to have so much to be thankful for. God never lets us down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving [and yes the earlier date would take some getting used! :o)]

    And I don't think steaks sound bad at all! One year our oven broke Thanksgiving morning. Fortunately the stove top worked fine -- we had bacon and eggs for Thanksgiving! LOL - Fortunately no guests were coming that year!

    Hope you all have a really wonderful day!

    Blessings -
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin