Friday, September 08, 2006

You Know You're a True Texan When . . .

I saw this at Be Not Conformed, and I just couldn't resist posting it! LOL Although I'm not a native Texan, I can identify with most of these statements after living in Texas for 14 years and raising all three of my children as Texans (only two of them were actually born in Texas, though). I've marked the ones that I've found true in bold letters! ;)

*You can properly pronounce Corsicana, Ennis, Waxahachie, Palestine, Decatur, Wichita Falls, San Antonio, Waco, and Amarillo.

*A tornado warning siren is your signal to go out in the yard and look for a funnel.

*You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.

*You know that the true value of a parking space is not determined by the distance to the door, but by the availability of shade.

*You measure distance in minutes.

*You listen to the weather forecast before picking out an outfit.

*You know cowpies are not made of beef.

*Someone you know has used a football schedule to plan their wedding date.

*You have known someone who has had one belt buckle bigger than your fist.

*You aren't surprised to find movie rental, ammunition, and bait all in the same store.

*A Mercedes Benz is not a status symbol. A Chevy 3500 4x4 is.

*You know everything goes better with Ranch.

*You actually get these jokes and are "fixin' " to send them to your friends.

*You go to the river/lake because you think it is like going to the ocean.

*Your family pet is the stray dog with one leg that came limping up to your door.

*Finally, you are 100% Texan if you have ever heard this conversation:

"You wanna coke?"
"Yeah."
"What kind?"
"Dr. Pepper."


We especially identify with that last one! Even in SC, we called every carbonated beverage a Coke. Mama would identify an actual Coke by calling it a Co-Cola; everything else was a Coke. You do understand the difference, don't you?! Although this gal has been taken out of the South (very willingly I might add), the South has yet to be taken out of this gal. "Y'all" still rolls right off my tongue without my even realizing it. I get lots of teasing up here about that one!

5 comments:

  1. I'm not from Texas, but the mixture of my Southern family and my life lived in the South Western desert helps me "get" most of these. ;) Buuut, I admit to not being able to pronouce some of those city names, so I'd never be able to bluff as a Texan!

    Thanks for your comment! I'm listening to a Gaither cd as I type... my husband has an a "folder" in our cd changer of just Southern Gospel music. It often plays through several times a day,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonja8:54 PM

    Ah! TEXAS!!! Well, you know that..The stars at night are Big and Bright Deep in the Heart of TEXAS!!!!!
    And I was thinking that I was needin' a coke sometime soon, so I better go and put a Dr. Pepper in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark says they need to add Mexia to the list of cities that only a Texan knows how to pronounce. (BTW, it's pronounced Mu-hay-u)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I'm am totally Texan, except for the lake and dog one and my favorite kind of coke is Dr. Pepper. :0)

    Terri, I'm a Texan through and through but I've never heard of Mexia???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    I loved it, and it's sooo right! Down here in Houston, all trips are based on time, not miles. It could take you 30 minutes to go 3 miles at the right time of day! I couldn't tell you how many miles it is to any place, only how long it takes me to get there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin