Tuesday, September 19, 2006

This Has Been a Day!

As my husband would say . . . Of all the days, this has been one! ;) We rose at 6:15 this morning (after getting to bed at 12:30 this morning!), had a good breakfast, and headed back over to Greater Vancouver for the Pastors' Conference. We heard three sermons in the morning session, had a salmon luncheon, then the men had another sermon and some testimonies while the ladies had a time of fellowship together, with testimonies and prayer. We took a little break in the late afternoon. We came home just long enough to doze a few minutes, then went back over for the evening service.

I won't go into a lot of details tonight. I plan to hit the highlights of the sermons, because they were so full of "don't quit - keep on!" that I know they will be an encouragement to someone. What I wanted to tell you about tonight is how the service ended this evening.

We were a little way into the second and final sermon of the evening when there was a commotion in the balcony. I thought at first that it was someone causing a disturbance, but we quickly realized it was a serious medical emergency. An elderly gentleman had suffered a heart attack. Thankfully, there were three nurses in the service and one doctor or EMT who had a medical bag in his car. These folks quickly and calmly began administering CPR until the paramedics arrived (within minutes!). I don't know any more about the man's condition, but I do know that he is a saved man who attends Greater Vancouver quite often. His wife's family are members there.

The first sermon of the evening was "How Do You Want to Finish?" That thought was brought home far too clearly as we watched a man come terribly close to death right in our midst tonight. A very, very real reminder that we just don't know how much time we have, and we need to consider how we want to finish this race we're in. How do you want to finish? Start doing today what you will want to be remembered for tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a Heavenly illustration for that sermon. I'm sure it hit home for a lot of people. It did for me, and I wasn't even there.

    ~Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord that there were some medical folks who were able to help the man who had the heart attack!

    Sounds like you've heard some great preaching this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers just said for the man who had a heart attack. May God be with him & his family & everyone at the conference...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! I'm sure that message was very soul stirring after what happened. I'm glad the Lord is blessing you through this meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a day is right! Thankful to know there was medical help for the elderly man. I hope he is going to be ok...what a scary thing for everyone to witness.

    Thanks for the timely reminder that it truly matters how we finish the race. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin